Euclidean correlators for finite chemical potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining the Minkowski time ordered 2-pt function from the Euclidean one by analytic continuation in the presence of a non-zero chemical potential. The confusion arises from the need to analytically continue a real chemical potential in Minkowski signature to an imaginary one in Euclidean signature. It is mentioned that this can be a problem in naive lattice simulations and the question is raised whether it still holds in the continuous limit without any simulations. The response suggests writing both sides as path integrals and performing the analytic continuation explicitly to determine the relationship between the Euclidean and Minkowski correlators. The discussion also touches on the effect of boundary conditions in this calculation.
Einj
Hello everyone,
my question is about Euclidean correlators (say a 2-pt function to be specific) in presence of non-zero chemical potential.

The question in particular is: is it still true that the Minkowski time ordered 2-pt function can be simply obtained from the Euclidean one by analytic continuation? Is this property spoiled by the presence of a chemical potential?

My confusion is mostly due to the fact that, if I'm not mistaken, a real chemical potential in Minkowski should be analytically continued to an imaginary one in Euclidean signature and I don't know if this is a problem or not.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Einj said:
a real chemical potential in Minkowski should be analytically continued to an imaginary one in Euclidean signature and I don't know if this is a problem or not.
It can be a problem. Numerical stability is lost in naive lattice simulations.

Thanks a lot for the quick answer! My question however, goes beyond lattice simulations. I don't have any lattice and everything is continuous. The questions is: is it still true that:

$$
\langle O_1O_2\rangle (\tilde\omega,\vec k)\longrightarrow\langle T(O_1O_2)\rangle(\omega,\vec k)
$$
when [itex]\tilde\omega\to-i\omega[/itex]. This is all in the continuous limit. No lattice nor simulations of any sort.

Thanks!

Einj said:
is it still true that
I can't tell off-hand but you'd probably be able to work it out yourself by writing both sides as path integrals and perform the analytic continuation explicitly.

Thanks for your reply. I indeed checked that for an action of the kind:
$$
S=-\int d^4x\left(-(\partial_t+i\mu)\Phi^*(\partial_t-i\mu)\Phi +\vec\nabla\Phi^*\cdot\vec\nabla\Phi+m^2|\Phi|^2\right)
$$
the 2-pt function in the Euculidean and Minkowskian case are related by an analytic continuation.

I guess at this point my question is more general: does the fact that Euclidean correlators can be obtained from the Minkowskian one with an analytic continuation depend on what kinds of boundary conditions we are imposing on the field?
In particular, is it affected by the requirement [itex]A_t(r=\infty)=\mu[/itex]?

Thanks again!

P.S. My question clearly has AdS/CFT in mind.

I think it shoulldn't make a difference but I am not an expert on this.

Likes Einj

1. What are Euclidean correlators for finite chemical potential?

Euclidean correlators refer to a type of mathematical calculation used in quantum field theory to study the behavior of particles and their interactions. When a system has a finite chemical potential, it means there is a difference in the number of particles of different types, which can affect the system's energy and other properties.

2. How are Euclidean correlators for finite chemical potential used in research?

Euclidean correlators for finite chemical potential are used in theoretical research to study the behavior of particles and their interactions in systems with a finite chemical potential. This can provide insight into the properties and behavior of matter at high temperatures or densities, such as in the early universe or in compact objects like neutron stars.

3. What is the significance of studying Euclidean correlators for finite chemical potential?

Studying Euclidean correlators for finite chemical potential can help scientists understand the properties and behavior of matter in extreme conditions, such as those found in the early universe or inside dense objects like neutron stars. This research can also have practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, nuclear physics, and materials science.

4. What are some challenges in studying Euclidean correlators for finite chemical potential?

One major challenge in studying Euclidean correlators for finite chemical potential is the complexity of the calculations involved. These calculations require advanced mathematical techniques and can be computationally intensive. Additionally, there may be uncertainties or limitations in the theoretical models used to study these systems.

5. Are there any current developments or applications of Euclidean correlators for finite chemical potential?

Yes, there are ongoing developments and applications of Euclidean correlators for finite chemical potential in various fields of research. For example, scientists are using these calculations to study the properties of quark-gluon plasma, a state of matter that may have existed in the early universe. Other applications include studying the properties of neutron stars and the behavior of strongly interacting systems in condensed matter physics.