Performing Wick Rotation to get Euclidean action of scalar f

In summary: The time-dependence of the field ##\Psi## can be found by solving the field equation ##\Psi(x,t) = A(\tau,p)##.
FrancescoS
I'm working with the signature ##(+,-,-,-)## and with a Minkowski space-stime Lagrangian

##
\mathcal{L}_M = \Psi^\dagger\left(i\partial_0 + \frac{\nabla^2}{2m}\right)\Psi
##
The Minkowski action is
##
S_M = \int dt d^3x \mathcal{L}_M
##
I should obtain the Euclidean action by Wick rotation.

My question is about the way with that I should perform the Wick rotation.

Since the spacetime interval is defined by ##ds^2 = dt^2 - d\vec{x}^2##, If I perform a Wick rotation (just rotating the time axis) I get a negative Euclidean interval.

1. What's the sense of that? What's the connection between physical actions calculated in two different signature?

2. I can perform the rotation with different signs ##t =\pm i\tau##. I know that, if there exist any poles, I must choose the correct sign in order to not cross them. In this case, apparently I can choose both and I get always the same result.

If I choose ## t = i\tau ## I get
##
i\int_{+i\infty}^{-i\infty} d\tau d^3x \Psi^\dagger\left(i\frac{\partial}{\partial i\tau} + \frac{\nabla^2}{2m}\right)\Psi = -i\int_{-i\infty}^{+i\infty} d\tau d^3x \Psi^\dagger\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial \tau} + \frac{\nabla^2}{2m}\right)\Psi(x,i\tau)
##

If I choose ## t = -i\tau ## I get
##
-i\int_{-i\infty}^{+i\infty} d\tau d^3x \Psi^\dagger\left(-i\frac{\partial}{\partial i\tau} + \frac{\nabla^2}{2m}\right)\Psi = -i\int_{-i\infty}^{+i\infty} d\tau d^3x \Psi^\dagger\left(-\frac{\partial}{\partial \tau} + \frac{\nabla^2}{2m}\right)\Psi(x,-i\tau) = -i\int_{-i\infty}^{+i\infty} d\tau d^3x \Psi^\dagger\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial \tau} + \frac{\nabla^2}{2m}\right)\Psi(x,i\tau)
##

But, I should obtain

##
S_E = \int d\tau d^3x \Psi^\dagger(x,\tau)(\partial_\tau - \frac{\nabla^2}{2m})\Psi(x,\tau)
##
not?

3. Is the Euclidean action defined by ##S_M = i S_E## or by ##S_M = -iS_E##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Despite the fact that you problem is non-relativistic, and there's no Minkowski symmetry your calculation shows that you get the same Euclidean action for both choices for the imaginary-time formlism. The reason is that the time-ordered propagator in the non-relativistic case is the same as the retarded propagator.

vanhees71 said:
Despite the fact that you problem is non-relativistic, and there's no Minkowski symmetry your calculation shows that you get the same Euclidean action for both choices for the imaginary-time formlism. The reason is that the time-ordered propagator in the non-relativistic case is the same as the retarded propagator.
And then how do you derive the euclidean action?
I'm reading a paper which is following this method...

Which paper? But as far as I can see, you have already calculated the effective action. Where is the problem?

vanhees71 said:
Which paper? But as far as I can see, you have already calculated the effective action. Where is the problem?
Because it should be
##
S_E = \int d\tau d^3 x \Psi^\dagger(x,\tau)(\partial_t - \frac{\nabla^2}{2m})\Psi(x,t)
##
which is different from what I obtained.

This is the paper (pag.7)
http://arxiv.org/abs/nucl-th/0510023

Ok, let's see. The correct sign for the Wick rotation in the time domain is obtained from the analogy between QFT and (grand-)canonical statistical mechanics. The grand-canonical statistical operator is ##\propto \exp(-\beta \hat{H})## which is a time-evolution operator with imaginary time ##t=-\mathrm{i} \tau##. Then
$$\partial_t=\frac{\partial \tau}{\partial t} \partial_{\tau}=\mathrm{i} \partial_{\tau}$$
and thus
$$-S_{\text{E}}=\psi^* \left(\mathrm{i} \partial_t +\frac{\Delta}{2m} \right ) \psi=-\psi^* \left (\partial_{\tau}-\frac{\Delta}{2m} \right) \psi.$$
In momentum space the equation of motion reads
$$\partial_{\tau} \psi=-\frac{p^2}{2m}\psi \; \Rightarrow \psi(\tau,p)=A \exp\left (-\frac{p^2}{2m} \tau \right),$$
i.e., a falling exponential as it should be.

Last edited:
vanhees71 said:
Ok, let's see. The correct sign for the Wick rotation in the time domain is obtained from the analogy between QFT and (grand-)canonical statistical mechanics. The grand-canonical statistical operator is ##\propto \exp(-\beta \hat{H})## which is a time-evolution operator with imaginary time ##t=-\mathrm{i} \tau##. Then
$$\partial_t=\frac{\partial \tau}{\partial t} \partial_{\tau}=\mathrm{i} \partial_{\tau}$$
and thus
$$-S_{\text{E}}=\psi^* \left(\mathrm{i} \partial_t +\frac{\Delta}{2m} \right ) \psi=-\psi^* \left (\partial_{\tau}-\frac{\Delta}{2m} \right) \psi.$$
In momentum space the equation of motion reads
$$\partial_{\tau} \psi=-\frac{p^2}{2m}\psi \; \Rightarrow \psi(t,p)=A \exp\left (-\frac{p^2}{2m} t \right),$$
i.e., a falling exponential as it should be.

Ok, this is the same of the first calculation I wrote. But, can you explicit the time-dependence of the field ##\Psi##. We start with a field ##\Psi(x,t)## and then we get... ?

Argh. There was a typo in the last equation. In the solution, of course, I have to write ##\tau## instead of ##t## (it's corrected in my posting). Then you get
$$\psi(\tau,p):=\psi(\mathrm{i} t,p)=A \exp \left (-\frac{p^2}{2m} \tau \right )=A \exp \left (-\frac{p^2}{2m} \mathrm{i} t \right ),$$
i.e., you come from the Euclidean to the "Minkowskian" (or better the imaginary-time to the real-time) wave function by simply substituting ##\tau=\mathrm{i} t##. Only if there are non-trivial analytic structures in some function like branching points, you have to be careful in specifying the analytic continuation from imaginary to real time (i.e., the Riemann sheet of the mulitvalued function).

Thank you. So the keyword is "analytic continuation" If think. I will go to review, thank you again

What is Wick Rotation and how is it performed?

Wick Rotation is a mathematical technique used in theoretical physics to convert a theory in Minkowski spacetime (with signature +---) to a theory in Euclidean spacetime (with signature ++++). It involves a change of variables where the time coordinate is replaced with an imaginary time coordinate, and the spatial coordinates are rotated by 90 degrees.

Why is Wick Rotation used in theoretical physics?

Wick Rotation is used because it simplifies the mathematical calculations in theories involving quantum field theory, statistical mechanics, and general relativity. In Euclidean spacetime, the path integral formulation is well-defined and convergent, whereas in Minkowski spacetime it can suffer from mathematical divergences.

What is the Euclidean action of a scalar field and why is it important?

The Euclidean action of a scalar field is the action of a scalar field theory in Euclidean spacetime. It is obtained by performing Wick Rotation on the Minkowski action. It is important because it allows us to study the behavior of the scalar field theory in a well-defined and convergent mathematical framework.

What are the benefits of using the Euclidean action of a scalar field?

One of the main benefits of using the Euclidean action of a scalar field is that it simplifies the calculations and makes them more manageable. It also allows for the use of powerful mathematical techniques such as the saddle point approximation and the method of steepest descent. Additionally, the Euclidean action can be used to study the behavior of a scalar field theory at finite temperature, which is important for understanding various physical phenomena.

Are there any limitations of using Wick Rotation and the Euclidean action of a scalar field?

While Wick Rotation and the Euclidean action have proven to be useful tools in theoretical physics, they do have some limitations. For example, they are not applicable to all theories, particularly those with fermions or gauge fields. Additionally, the Euclidean action may not fully capture the dynamics of the theory in Minkowski spacetime, so it should be used with caution and its results should be carefully interpreted.