Euler angles equivalence with a single rotation

In summary, imagine we rotate a vector centered at the origin with euler angles alpha,beta,gamma.Now the question is, can we do this rotation by the means of defining a vector N(which its length is 1)?and rotating the vector zeta radians counter clockwise around N?I think it must be possible and I want to know if N is unique(we have only one N for the given euler angles) and I want to find N and zeta in terms of alpha beta and gamma.thank you.P.S: what I've done to find the answer:I used cartesian coordinates and found the rotatian matrix correspending to a rotation
sentinel
imagine we rotate a vector centered at the origin with euler angles alpha,beta,gamma.
now the question is, can we do this rotation by the means of defining a vector N(which its length is 1).and rotating the vector zeta radians counter clockwise around N?
I think it must be possible and I want to know if N is unique(we have only one N for the given euler angles) and I want to find N and zeta in terms of alpha beta and gamma.
thank you.(complete answers really apreciated!GOD bless those who give complete anwers!)
P.S: what I've done to find the answer:I used cartesian coordinates and found the rotatian matrix correspending to a rotation zeta over a given N.>>RA=A'
I found R.A is a column matrix (x,y,z) and A'(x',y',z').and R is a 3x3 matrix which I found in terms of N(nx,ny,nz) and zeta.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want to transform a specific, known vector? If you want to express a general rotation with just N and zeta, those will depend on the rotated vector. You can look how this vector transforms under the euler rotations and compare this to a rotation around an arbitrary N. Solving the equations will give an appropriate N.

The transformation [itex]\vec{N} \to -\vec{N}[/itex] and [itex]\zeta \to - \zeta +2 \pi k[/itex] always works, so N is not unique. You can restrict ζ to [0,pi], and N will be unique apart from special cases (ζ=0 and ζ=pi).

thank you sir.
of course we know the vector we want to rotate.its say;A(Ax,Ay,Az) but it doesn't matter I think.for what ever vector, we use we want to know N and zeta which must be functions of only alpha beta gamma(the euler angles correspending to rotation).
I mean imagine we have the rotation matrix (possibly NOT a function of A and only function of alpha beta gamma) and also we know the rotation matrix for the rotaion zeta around an N.(also NOT a function of A) so if we simply put this two matrix equal we should get N and zeta as a function of the euler angles.A is not involved in the answer.
now I want some angel! to write N and zeta as function of the euler angles.
it means around which axis and how much do we need to do a single rotation to get an euler rotation of alpha beta gamma.

Rotations are very easy to deal with in geometric algebra and/or with quaternions.

The rotation is entirely characterized by a rotor: [tex]R = e^{- i \theta /2}[/tex] where [itex]i[/itex] is some bivector, or a geometric object, that obeys [itex]i^2 = -1[/itex]. There are three such objects in 3D space: we'll call them [itex]e_{xy}, e_{yz}, e_{zx}[/itex]. They describe rotations in the xy, yz, and zx planes, respectively.

We can chain three such rotations together:

[tex]R = \exp(-e_{xy}\alpha/2) \exp(- e_{yz}\beta/2) \exp(- e_{zx} \gamma/2)[/tex]

(You should already know that this is a perfectly valid means of parameterizing rotations; you can always go from fixed axes to rotated axes with Euler angles.)

When you multiply all three rotors out, you'll get something of the form

[tex]R = a + b e_{xy} + c e_{yz} + d e_{zx} = \cos \frac{\theta}{2} - u \sin \frac{\theta}{2}[/tex]

where [itex]u[/itex] is a unit bivector. Taking [itex]\cos^{-1} a = \theta/2[/itex] gives the angle. Dividing out [itex]\sin \theta/2[/itex] gives the plane of rotation.

Example: consider a rotation composed of a [itex]\pi/3[/itex] rotation in the xy plane, [itex]\pi/2[/itex] in the yz plane, and [itex]\pi/3[/itex] in the zx plane. The rotor is then

[tex]R = \left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} - e_{xy} \frac{1}{2} \right) \left(\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} - e_{yz} \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \right) \left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} - e_{zx} \frac{1}{2} \right)[/tex]

Right away, just by multiplying all the first terms and all the last terms, we can find that [itex]\cos \theta/2 = \sqrt{2}/4[/itex].

The rest of the multiplication is best done by selecting for the other terms:

[tex]R = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{4} - e_{xy} \frac{\sqrt{6}}{4} - e_{yz} \frac{\sqrt{2}}{4} - e_{zx} \frac{\sqrt{6}}{4}[/tex]

(May have done arithmetic wrong, but it should give the idea that this is not difficult--only tedious--to do.)

From here, the answer is within sight. The angle is [itex]2\cos^{-1} (\sqrt{2}/4) \approx 2.42 = 139^\circ[/itex]. Written in terms of the unit bivector, the rotor is

[tex]R = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{4} - \frac{\sqrt{14}}{4} \left(\sqrt{\frac{3}{7}} e_{xy} +\sqrt{\frac{1}{7}} e_{yz} + \sqrt{\frac{3}{7}} e_{zx} \right)[/tex]

Or, more plainly, we have a 139 degree rotation about [itex]e_x + 3 e_y + 3 e_z[/itex]. And this was all possible through geometric algebra/quaternions.

mfb said:
If you want to express a general rotation with just N and zeta, those will depend on the rotated vector.
This is wrong - sorry, I was confused.
See Muphrid.

1. What are Euler angles?

Euler angles are a set of three angles that describe the orientation of a rigid body in a three-dimensional space with respect to a fixed coordinate system.

2. How are Euler angles used to represent rotations?

Euler angles are used to represent rotations by defining a sequence of three elemental rotations around the axes of the coordinate system.

3. What is the equivalence of Euler angles with a single rotation?

The equivalence of Euler angles with a single rotation refers to the fact that any rotation in three-dimensional space can be represented by a single rotation around a single axis, which can be described using Euler angles.

4. How do Euler angles relate to other rotation representations?

Euler angles are a popular way of representing rotations, but they are not the only method. They are closely related to other representations such as rotation matrices and quaternions.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using Euler angles?

One advantage of using Euler angles is that they are intuitive and easy to visualize. However, they can suffer from singularities and gimbal lock, making them less suitable for certain applications. Additionally, they can be more complex to work with mathematically compared to other rotation representations.