Euler, Calculus of Variations and Mast on a ship

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
Trying2Learn
Messages
375
Reaction score
57
TL;DR
How did Euler use the calculus of variations to place a mast on a ship?
From Wikipedia:

"In 1727, [Euler] first entered the Paris Academy Prize Problem competition; the problem that year was to find the best way to place the masts on a ship."

Does anyone know how he did this?

Is there an on-line paper? (But what that is accessible with today's knowledge).

And by that, I do not mean as he did it (for I fear a paper of his work will be dense with geometry) but more: "how would he do it today, equipped with today's "dialect" of how the Calculus of Variations is taught?"
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wrobel said:
how is the problem stated exactly?

I do not have a clue. I am not being facetious. I just don't know. I have read from several sources that he did what the wikipedia article says, but I have not clue as to anything more than that.