Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler was pronounced with a long u sound

1. Nov 19, 2006 #1
    "Euler" was pronounced with a long "u" sound

Up until last week I thought "Euler" was pronounced with a long "u" sound (like Euclid).

Since most of the famous names of science/math are names I have read, not heard, I was wondering if someone could give me the correct pronunciation of the following names (some of them seem pretty simple, but I thought Euler was too, so who knows now...):

De Moivre

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, I'll add more as I think of them.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I always love the challenge of explaining how to pronounce words someone has only seen in writing...in writing. :rofl: Especially when I have no way of using diacritical marks to help.

This might help:

If it's any consolation, I always pronounce Euler wrong too. I know the correct pronunciation, but like you, had spent so long pronouncing it incorrectly based on reading it rather than hearing it that it's permanently stuck in my brain with the wrong pronunciation.
  4. Nov 19, 2006 #3
    L'Hopital - low-pital
    Gauss -Gauß
    De Moivre -de- mo-yiey? (no r sound)
    Fourier -fo-yiey? (no r sound)
  5. Nov 19, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

When it comes to surnames, all rules are thrown out the window. I love a British sitcom I watch where the wife is always telling people that their name is pronounced Bouquet...even though it's spelled Bucket.
  6. Nov 20, 2006 #5
    so Euler is said "oiler" right?
  7. Nov 20, 2006 #6

8. Nov 20, 2006 #7
    I thought it was pronounced like "mauve"s.
  9. Nov 20, 2006 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm so glad to see people follow the links I provide. :rolleyes: De Moivre was in that list.
  10. Nov 20, 2006 #9
    From moonbear:

duh 'mwah vruh

My guess:

De Moivre -de- mo-yiey? (no r sound)

see, I was close.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  11. Nov 20, 2006 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uh huh. :uhh: There's an r sound. :wink: :biggrin:
  12. Nov 20, 2006 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Depends on which French accent you use. :tongue:
  13. Nov 21, 2006 #12
    De Moivre : duh-mwa-vruh...with the French "r"
    Fourier : Fuh-r-i-eee. No r sound at the end

The "duh" is like the Homer Simpson "duh" but less strong. LOL
  14. Nov 21, 2006 #13
    It took me a few years to get the French accent down while studying the language, so I know not everyone would be able to pronounce "De Moivre" using the French 'r.' But at least say "de" as "duh" and not "day." ;)
  15. Nov 21, 2006 #14

It is always good policy to learn for the best, wouldn't you say. So, for all you native English speakers out there, here is the master of the Fench "r" : Edith Piaf.

Try to mimic the "non, rrrrien de rrrien, non je ne rrregrrette rien". In spoken French, this "r" is a bit too strong but let's take this clip as an example of a "stressed r", just to learn.

ps : i love the new PF skin update, especially the multi-quote thing
  16. Nov 21, 2006 #15

17. Nov 21, 2006 #16

Staff: Mentor

My wife (who teaches French) has to remind me of this occasionally when I'm talking about the Tour de France. :blushing:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?