Euler's method for a mass sliding down a frictionless curve

In summary: V2=1.96+9.8(0.2)=3.92V3=3.92+9.8*cos(X3/2)=5.842473 I can use excel to finish it off if I have the right pattern.Yes, you got it. Just copy the formula for v3 to the right and the formula for x3 down.
murrskeez

Homework Statement

Consider a mass sliding down a frictionless curve in the shape of a quarter circle of radius
2.00 m as in the diagram. Assume it starts from rest. Use Euler’s method to approximate
both the time it takes to reach the bottom of the curve and its speed at the bottom. Hint: Define the position and acceleration off the mass in terms of the angle θ. Let Δt=0.2.
phys.jpg

2. Homework Equations

s=rθ
tn=tn-1+Δt
xn=xn-1+vn-1Δt
vn=vn-1+an-1Δt
an=ΣF(tn)/m

The Attempt at a Solution

x(θ)=2θ
a(θ)=9.8cos(x(θ))

I know i need to find a way to make it so the angle is changing in small increments as I add the numbers up, but I'm not sure how.

Physics news on Phys.org
murrskeez said:

Homework Statement

Consider a mass sliding down a frictionless curve in the shape of a quarter circle of radius
2.00 m as in the diagram. Assume it starts from rest. Use Euler’s method to approximate
both the time it takes to reach the bottom of the curve and its speed at the bottom. Hint: Define the position and acceleration off the mass in terms of the angle θ. Let Δt=0.2.
View attachment 76208

2. Homework Equations

s=rθ
tn=tn-1+Δt
xn=xn-1+vn-1Δt
vn=vn-1+an-1Δt
an=ΣF(tn)/m

The Attempt at a Solution

x(θ)=2θ
a(θ)=9.8cos(x(θ))

I know i need to find a way to make it so the angle is changing in small increments as I add the numbers up, but I'm not sure how.
The equation in red is wrong. The tangential acceleration is a(θ)=9.8cos(θ)
Does only gravity acting on the mass? What about normal force?
The objects moves along a circle. It has both radial and tangential acceleration. What is the radial acceleration in case of circular motion? What is the sum of the radial components of the applied forces?
a(θ) = R d2θ/dt2. If you apply Newton's method, you get the angular velocity at the next step. But you need theta, so you need the other equation that relates the angular velocity with theta.

Last edited:
ehild said:
The equation in red is wrong. The tangential acceleration is a(θ)=9.8cos(θ)
Does only gravity acting on the mass? What about normal force?
The objects moves along a circle. It has both radial and tangential acceleration. What is the radial acceleration in case of circular motion? What is the sum of the radial components of the applied forces?
a(θ) = R d2θ/dt2. If you apply Newton's method, you get the angular velocity at the next step. But you need theta, so you need the other equation that relates the angular velocity with theta.

Ok so for the sum of the radial components of the applied forces I am getting:
ΣFr=m(v2/R)
N-mgsin(θ)=m(v2/R)
I'm not sure where to go from here though.

murrskeez said:
Ok so for the sum of the radial components of the applied forces I am getting:
ΣFr=m(v2/R)
N-mgsin(θ)=m(v2/R)
I'm not sure where to go from here though.
You are right, it is not too useful, as you do not know N. I've just noticed that you wanted to find the the position (x(r) = θ r) and the speed at each subsequent step. Do that, show the first step.

ehild said:
You are right, it is not too useful, as you do not know N. I've just noticed that you wanted to find the the position (x(r) = θ r) and the speed at each subsequent step. Do that, show the first step.
V0=0
V1=0+9.8*0.2=1.96

X0=0
X1=0+0(0.2)=0
X2=0+1.96(0.2)=.392

murrskeez said:
V0=0
V1=0+9.8*0.2=1.96

X0=0
X1=0+0(0.2)=0
X2=0+1.96(0.2)=.392
OK, go ahead. What is v2?
Can you write a program, or use an Excel spreadsheet?

The problem would be much simpler to solve if you used conservation of energy. You can express v at a given theta as function of theta, and then you have the equation Rdθ/dt = f(θ), which you solve with the Euler method.

V2=1.96+9.8(0.2)=3.92
V3=3.92+9.8*cos(X3/2)=5.842473
I can use excel to finish it off if I have the right pattern.

You can write the n-th step don't you? And you know v(0) and x(0).

1. What is Euler's method for a mass sliding down a frictionless curve?

Euler's method is a numerical method used to approximate the solution to a differential equation by breaking it down into smaller steps. In the context of a mass sliding down a frictionless curve, it is used to approximate the position of the mass at different points in time.

2. How is Euler's method applied to a mass sliding down a frictionless curve?

To apply Euler's method to a mass sliding down a frictionless curve, we must first determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the mass at a given point in time. Then, using these values, we can calculate the position of the mass at the next time step by using the following formula: xn+1 = xn + vnΔt, where xn+1 is the position at the next time step, xn is the position at the current time step, vn is the velocity at the current time step, and Δt is the time step size.

3. What are the advantages of using Euler's method for a mass sliding down a frictionless curve?

One advantage of using Euler's method is that it is a relatively simple and straightforward method to implement. Additionally, it can be used to approximate the solution to a differential equation at any point in time, as opposed to other methods that may only provide the solution at specific time steps.

4. What are the limitations of using Euler's method for a mass sliding down a frictionless curve?

One limitation of Euler's method is that it may not be the most accurate method for approximating the solution to a differential equation. This is because it uses linear approximations and does not take into account higher-order terms, which can lead to significant errors over time. Additionally, the time step size must be chosen carefully to ensure accuracy and stability.

5. How can the accuracy of Euler's method for a mass sliding down a frictionless curve be improved?

To improve the accuracy of Euler's method, one can use a smaller time step size, which will result in smaller errors. Alternatively, one can use a higher-order numerical method, such as the Runge-Kutta method, which takes into account higher-order terms and can provide more accurate results. It is also important to note that the accuracy of Euler's method can be affected by the complexity of the differential equation being approximated.