Evaluate the Following Integral

• Thread starter Northbysouth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: If you are trying to evaluate the integral \int_0^2 \int_{x/2}^1 sin(2y^2)\, dy \, dx, then you are correct in switching the limits. This can be done by drawing a graph of the boundaries and rearranging the integral so that you integrate with respect to x first and then with respect to y. The final answer is -1/2 + cos(2)/2.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following integral.

I have attached an image of the question.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to switch the limits, but I'm not sure how to do this.

Do I just solve y = x/2 for x which would give me:

x = 2y and substitute this in place of the x/2?

Help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• math 2224 14.2 1.png
    math 2224 14.2 1.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 541
Physics news on Phys.org
Where does it say ##y = \frac{x}{2}##? I believe in your case, y is independent of x.

I assumed that that was what the lower bound of the integral with respect to y is.

Northbysouth said:
I assumed that that was what the lower bound of the integral with respect to y is.

That is part of the limit of integration. It doesn't tell us that y is a function of x. y in this case is just like x; it's a dummy variable. Just integrate first with respect to y, then evaluate the inner integral. At this point, the integrand should be in terms of x. Then just integrate again and evaluate.

The problem is, I can't figure out how to integrate sin(2y^2) because u substitution doesn't work. When I spoke with my professor he said to switch the limits but I am not sure how to do this.

I've got it now. Using the boundaries for y and x I draw a graph of the boundaries which gave me a triangle bounded by the sides X=0, Y=1 and y=x/2

Then I rearranged the integral so that I integrated with respect to x before I integrated integrated with respect to y.

In the end I got the answer to be

-1/2 + cos(2)/2

Northbysouth said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following integral.

I have attached an image of the question.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to switch the limits, but I'm not sure how to do this.

Do I just solve y = x/2 for x which would give me:

x = 2y and substitute this in place of the x/2?

Help would be appreciated.

I could not read your attachment on my i-Phone 4, so here it is again in readable form:
[tex]\int_0^2 \int_{x/2}^1 sin(2y^2)\, dy \, dx.[/tex]

RGV

Sorry, my misinterpretation/ignorance.

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

What is the purpose of evaluating an integral?

Evaluating an integral allows us to find the exact numerical value of the area under a curve, which can be useful in many real-world applications such as calculating volumes, distances, and probabilities.

How do you evaluate an integral?

To evaluate an integral, you can use various methods such as the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, integration by parts, or numerical approximation techniques like the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule.

What are the limits of integration?

The limits of integration determine the interval over which the integral is evaluated. They are typically written as a lower limit and an upper limit, with the function being integrated between these two values.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a single numerical value, while an indefinite integral does not have limits and gives a general function that represents all possible antiderivatives of the original function.