How do I evaluate this integral?

• Thread starter docnet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: I think that Kirchoff's formula is a way of calculating the potential energy of a wave at a given point. It is used to calculate things like the power output of a mechanical system.
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
How do I evaluate this integral?
Relevant Equations
Kirchhoff's formula
$$u(t,x)=\frac{1}{4\pi t}\int_{||y-x||=t}h(y)dS(y)+\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Big[\frac{1}{4\pi t}\int_{||y-x||=t}g(y)dS(y)\Big]$$
The goal is to evaluate the below integrals. Please note ##x\in \mathbb{R}^3##

The issue is that I do not understand the meaning of the integration boundary ##||y-x||=t## and the meaning of the notation ##dS(y)##. Would someone be kind to explain these notations to me like I am five? are ##x## and ##y## both in ##\mathbb{R}^3##? what is the equality with ##t## doing in the integral?
Thank you.

$$u(t,x)=\frac{1}{4\pi t}\int_{||y-x||=t}h(y)dS(y)+\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Big[\frac{1}{4\pi t}\int_{||y-x||=t}g(y)dS(y)\Big]$$
where
$$g(y)=h(y)=exp(-\frac{1}{1-y^2})$$ over the unit disk
and ##0## else

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##x## is the input of the function, so is constant. ##y## is the variable you are integrating over. ##t## is also a constant, so ##||y-x||=t## is integrating over the region of ##y## which is constant distance from ##x##, i.e. a sphere of radius t centered at x.

Likes docnet
After trying to evaluate this integral last night, I think maybe my professor did not want us to evaluate the integrals, But to understand how the integrals describe a 3D wave solution. Thank you! @Office_Shredder

I think that according to the formula, ##u(t,x,y,z)## is a function that describes the amplitude of the wave at position ##(x,y,z)## for all times t. At time ##t=0## the wave is confined to the unit ball and described by the function ##exp(−\frac{1}{1−r^2})##. The wave propagates outwards as t increases, and is contained by larger and larger spherical shells centered at the origin. At an arbitrary point ##(x_0,y_0,z_0)## outside of the unit ball, the amplitude of the wave is zero at all times except for one special time the wave passes through.

My professor tells me that it is possible to show that the wave vanishes outside of the spherical shell ##\{x\in\mathbb{R}^3|t−1≤||x||≤t+1\}##.

I tried to evaluate Kirchoff's formula, and frankly I feel embarrassed about my work, and hesitated posting this here. But I very much I want to learn and get better at math.

@Orodruin

@Office_Shredder

$$u(t,x)=\frac{1}{4\pi t}\int_{||r-x||=t}h(r)dS(r)+\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Big[\frac{1}{4\pi t}\int_{||r-x||=t}g(r)dS(r)\Big]$$
Plug in ##h(r)##, ##g(r)## and make a change of boundaries ##r\Rightarrow r+x##
$$\frac{1}{4\pi t}\int_{||r||=t}exp\Big(-\frac{1}{1-(r+x)^2}\Big)dS(r)+\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Big[\frac{1}{4\pi t}\int_{||r||=t}exp\Big(-\frac{1}{1-(r+x)^2}\Big)dS(r)\Big]$$
$$=\frac{1}{16\pi^2 t}\int_0^\pi \int_0^{2\pi}exp\Big(-\frac{1}{1-(r+x)^2}\Big)sin\phi d\theta d\phi$$$$+\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Big[\frac{1}{16\pi^2 t}\int_0^\pi \int_0^{2\pi} exp\Big(-\frac{1}{1-(r+x)^2}\Big)sin\phi d\theta d\phi \Big]$$
$$=exp\Big(-\frac{1}{1-(r+x)^2}\Big)\Big[\frac{1}{4\pi t}+\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Big(\frac{1}{4\pi t} \Big)\Big]$$
$$=exp\Big(-\frac{1}{1-(r+x)^2}\Big)\frac{t-4\pi}{16\pi^2 t^2}$$

The solution does not make sense because says the wave has negative amplitude at the origin at ##t<4π## and nears ##0## for ##t>4π##.

Last edited:
I am so sorry about the latex format issues. Post updated.

You seem to just have inserted the expression for the bump function for when its argument is < 1, but the integration domain is not necessarily restricted to this region.

thank you @Orodruin for the clear advice on the boundary. So I re-evaluated the integrals over the unit ball centered at the origin, and got the same answer because I used this method of spherical means (at the bottom of first page in the linked Stanford document) that does not take the radius of the ball into account. That is truly strange to think the spherical average does not depend on the radius, surely the document must contain an error?

1. How do I know which method to use to evaluate an integral?

There are several methods for evaluating integrals, such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. The best way to determine which method to use is to look for patterns in the integrand and choose the method that will simplify the integral the most.

2. Can I use a calculator to evaluate integrals?

Yes, many calculators have a built-in integral function that can be used to evaluate definite integrals. However, it is important to note that calculators may not always give the most accurate answer and it is still important to understand the concepts behind integration.

3. How do I know if an integral is solvable?

Not all integrals can be solved using traditional methods. Some integrals may require more advanced techniques such as contour integration or series expansion. If you are unsure if an integral is solvable, it is best to consult with a math expert.

4. What is the purpose of evaluating an integral?

Evaluating integrals is important in many areas of science and engineering. It allows us to find the area under a curve, calculate volumes and surface areas, and solve differential equations. It is also used in many real-life applications, such as calculating work and displacement in physics.

5. Can I use integration tables to evaluate integrals?

Yes, integration tables can be a helpful tool in evaluating integrals. However, it is important to understand the concepts behind integration and not solely rely on tables. Also, not all integrals can be found in integration tables, so it is important to have a good understanding of different integration techniques.