Evaluating Arithmetic Expression

In summary, when evaluating an arithmetic expression, it is important to follow the order of operations (PEMDAS) and simplify within parentheses, calculate exponents, perform multiplication and division from left to right, and finally addition and subtraction from left to right. The purpose of evaluating an arithmetic expression is to find its numerical value, which is useful in solving mathematical problems or working with formulas. It is necessary to follow the order of operations to ensure accuracy, and a calculator can be used but is not always necessary. When there are multiple operations of the same type, they should be completed in order from left to right.
Britt1
I need help figuring out what the little 2 next to an equation means this is what my problem looks like I have the answer but I can't figure out how it was found out. (3)(-4)2 - (3)(-5) so the 2 next to the 4 in parentheses is little.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Britt said:
I need help figuring out what the little 2 next to an equation means this is what my problem looks like I have the answer but I can't figure out how it was found out. (3)(-4)2 - (3)(-5) so the 2 next to the 4 in parentheses is little.

Do you mean $(3)(-4)^{2}-(3)(-5)?$ If so, the small raised '2' is an exponent. That is a shorthand notation for multiplying something by itself a certain number of times.

My tip: BIMDAS!

-4 squared is 16 as I have shown. And then open the brackets. (3)(16) - 3 + 5

3x16 = 48

-3+5 = 2

48 + 2 = 50

But yeah, as Ackbach said, a little 2 is a squared sign meaning to multiply it by itself.

Beer soaked ramblings follow.
SDAlgebra said:
My tip: BIMDAS!

-4 squared is 16 as I have shown. And then open the brackets. (3)(16) - 3 + 5

3x16 = 48

-3+5 = 2

48 + 2 = 50

But yeah, as Ackbach said, a little 2 is a squared sign meaning to multiply it by itself.
8 year old thread revived.

And apparently revived to give the wrong answer!

The original problem was $(3)(-4)^2- (3)(-5)$.
The -5 is multiplied by -3, not subtracted from it.
3(16)+ 15= 48+ 15= 63, not 50.

Related to Evaluating Arithmetic Expression

1. How do you evaluate an arithmetic expression?

To evaluate an arithmetic expression, you need to follow the order of operations, which is PEMDAS (parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction). You start by simplifying any expressions within parentheses, then calculate any exponents, followed by multiplication and division from left to right, and finally addition and subtraction from left to right.

2. What is the purpose of evaluating an arithmetic expression?

The purpose of evaluating an arithmetic expression is to find the numerical value of the expression. This is important in solving mathematical problems or when working with formulas in various fields such as science, engineering, and finance.

3. Is it necessary to follow the order of operations when evaluating an arithmetic expression?

Yes, it is necessary to follow the order of operations when evaluating an arithmetic expression. This ensures that the expression is evaluated correctly and consistently, regardless of the complexity of the expression.

4. Can you evaluate an arithmetic expression without using a calculator?

Yes, you can evaluate an arithmetic expression without using a calculator by following the order of operations and using mental math or written calculations. However, a calculator can be a helpful tool for complex expressions or for checking your answer.

5. What do you do if there are multiple operations of the same type in an arithmetic expression?

If there are multiple operations of the same type (e.g. addition or multiplication) in an arithmetic expression, you should follow the order of operations and complete them from left to right. For example, in the expression 4 + 6 - 2, you would first add 4 and 6, then subtract 2 to get a final answer of 8.