1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating Integrals Using Cauchy's Formula/Theorem

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Evaluating Integrals Using Cauchy's Formula/Theorem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the given integral using Cauchy's Formula or Theorem.

[tex]\int_{|z+1|=2} \frac{z^2}{4 - z^2} \, dz[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Cauchy's Theorem. Suppose that f is analytic on a domain D. Let [itex]\gamma[/itex] be a piecewise smooth simple closed curve in D whose inside [itex]\Omega[/itex] also lies in D. Then

[tex]\int_\gamma f(z) \, dz = 0[/tex]

Cauchy's Formula. Suppose that f is analytic on a domain D and [itex]\gamma[/itex] is a piecewise smooth, positively oriented simple closed curve D whose inside [itex]\Omega[/itex] also lies in D. Then

[tex]f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_\gamma \frac{f(\zeta)}{\zeta - z} \, d\zeta[/tex]

for all [itex]z \in \Omega[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    For z equal to 2 and -2, the integrand is not defined and hence is not analytic in any domain that includes these points. The problem is that the curve |z + 1| = 2 contains the point -2 inside it so I can't apply either Cauchy's Theorem or Formula. What can I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2
    hint

z^2/(4 - z^2) = z^2/((2 - z)(2 + z)) = (z^2/(z-2))/(z+2) = g(z)/(z - (-2)), where g(z) = z^2/(z-2) is analytic inside and on your circle

4. Mar 4, 2008 #3
    Ah! Thanks for the tip. That really helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?