Evaluation of heat and work for a stirred liquid

In summary, the stirring of the liquid is increasing its internal energy and temperature, which causes Q > 0 and ΔE to be positive.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
Stirring. A liquid is stirred in a well- insulated container until its
temperature rises.
(a) Has heat been transferred to the liquid?
(b) Has work been performed on the liquid?
(c) What is the sign of ΔE?
Relevant Equations
ΔE=Q+W
a.)I would say the stirring, a form of mechanical work, is increasing the internal energy of the liquid, releasing heat into the system, which thereby raises the temperature.
b.) Work is obviously being done by stirring the liquid.
c.)Well we are doing work on a system so W>0 and with the increase of internal energy, we can say Q>0. So ΔE should be positive.

These are my answers and the thought process behind them. Just want to cross reference my answers and see if I am on the right path.

Physics news on Phys.org
quittingthecult said:
a.)I would say the stirring, a form of mechanical work, is increasing the internal energy of the liquid, releasing heat into the system, which thereby raises the temperature.
Has heat been transferred to the system? You just said that work was done and therefore the temperature increased but was any heat transferred?

Note: "a well- insulated container"

Doc Al said:
Has heat been transferred to the system? You just said that work was done and therefore the temperature increased but was any heat transferred?

Note: "a well- insulated container"
I was really unsure about my answer to a, and it was regarding exactly what your response says.

So doing work and releasing heat to a system is not the same as transferring heat?

quittingthecult said:
So doing work and releasing heat to a system is not the same as transferring heat?
Not sure what you mean by "releasing heat to a system". Work was done (the stirring) and the temperature rose. But did heat transfer from outside the system?

Doc Al said:
Not sure what you mean by "releasing heat to a system". Work was done (the stirring) and the temperature rose. But did heat transfer from outside the system?
Ok it seems like I may be incorrect in regards to releasing heat to a system.

I guess I am trying to say the work is being converted into heat by the stirring, but that does not equate to transferring heat. The transfer of heat has to come from outside the system.

Is that correct?

quittingthecult said:
I guess I am trying to say the work is being converted into heat by the stirring, but that does not equate to transferring heat.
Don't say "converted to heat" (that's what we might say in 'everyday speak', but it's not accurate). The stirring did work, which increased the internal energy and raised the temperature. No "heat" flow was involved.
quittingthecult said:
The transfer of heat has to come from outside the system.
Exactly!

Big hint: "a well-insulated container" means that no heat could flow.

Doc Al said:
Don't say "converted to heat" (that's what we might say in 'everyday speak', but it's not accurate). The stirring did work, which increased the internal energy and raised the temperature. No "heat" flow was involved.

Exactly!

Big hint: "a well-insulated container" means that no heat could flow.
Got it, I will be more meticulous with my wording going forward.

Does this mean my answer to c is still correct? I know that W>0, but since not heat was transferred, Q = 0 , which means the overall sign of ΔE is positive?

quittingthecult said:
Got it, I will be more meticulous with my wording going forward.
Good. I'm busting your chops a bit, but I want you to get it right. :wink:
quittingthecult said:
Does this mean my answer to c is still correct? I know that W>0, but since not heat was transferred, Q = 0 , which means the overall sign of ΔE is positive?
Yes, ΔE is positive (and Q = 0). Good!

Likes guyvsdcsniper
Doc Al said:
Good. I'm busting your chops a bit, but I want you to get it right. :wink:

Yes, ΔE is positive (and Q = 0). Good!
Haha understood. Thank you for your help I truly feel I have a better understanding now.

What is the purpose of evaluating heat and work for a stirred liquid?

The purpose of evaluating heat and work for a stirred liquid is to understand the energy changes that occur in the system, which can help in designing and optimizing processes involving the liquid. It also helps in predicting the behavior of the liquid under different conditions.

What is the difference between heat and work in the context of a stirred liquid?

Heat and work are both forms of energy, but they differ in how they are transferred to or from a system. Heat is the transfer of thermal energy due to a temperature difference, while work is the transfer of mechanical energy due to a force acting on the system.

How is heat and work calculated for a stirred liquid?

The calculation of heat and work for a stirred liquid involves measuring the change in temperature and volume of the liquid, as well as the applied force and distance over which it is applied. The first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, is used to calculate the total change in energy of the system.

What factors can affect the evaluation of heat and work for a stirred liquid?

Some factors that can affect the evaluation of heat and work for a stirred liquid include the type and properties of the liquid, the stirring speed, the temperature and pressure of the surroundings, and any external forces or work being applied to the system.

How can the evaluation of heat and work for a stirred liquid be applied in real-world scenarios?

The evaluation of heat and work for a stirred liquid has many practical applications, such as in chemical reactions, food processing, and energy production. It can also be used to optimize and improve the efficiency of industrial processes and equipment involving stirred liquids.