What is the Limit of f(x) as x Approaches Infinity?

• Thread starter longrob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the question is asking for the long term behaviour of the solution to a differential equation and the expression posted initially is the general solution to a DE problem that was obtained. The question is to show that the long term behaviour as x->infinity is that x approaches (1/2)e^(-x).
longrob

Homework Statement

Evaluate the limit of the following as x approaches infinity

[tex]\frac{e^{x}-1}{1-2e^{x}+2e^{2x}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{e^{-x}-e^{-2x}}{e^{-2x}-2e^{-x}+2}[/tex]
which gives 0/2=0 as x approaches infinity, but apparently this is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it's wrong? I think it's right.

Because I am told the answer is [tex]\frac{1}{2}e^{-x}[/tex]

The limit of (1/2)e^(-x) as x->infinity is 0. Are they actually asking for the asymptotic behavior or the limiting behavior? Not the limit?

The question doesn't explicitly ask for the limit, I just assumed that's what I had to do. This is an applied maths course, not analysis. The question is asking for the long term behaviour of the solution to a differential equation...

in case I'm not being clear, the expression I posted initially is the general solution to a DE problem that I obtained (so it might be wrong !) and the question is to show that the long term behaviour as x->infinitty is that x approaches (1/2)e^(-x)

That would make sense. But I'm not sure what they mean by show. Casually you would just pick the dominant term in the numerator (e^x) (dominant meaning the ratio of any other term in the numerator and that one goes to zero) and the dominant term in the denominator (2e^(2x) and divide them. If they want you be more formal they might want you to show limit f(x)/g(x) goes to 1, where f(x) is your original expression and g(x)=(1/2)e^(-x).

Thank you very much.

Dick, Your final remark about the more formal approach requires me to know the answer, ie g(x) already, which was obtained by the "casual" approach. So how do you find g(x) more formally than using the casual approach ? Thanks a lot !

I don't think there is any 'formal' way to find g(x). You just throw out parts of the function that are less important. The only question was do you have to PROVE that what you've kept of the function is the important part? In that case showing limit f(x)/g(x)->1 would be one way.

Got it. Thanks again.

1. What does it mean to evaluate the limit of a function as x approaches infinity?

Evaluating the limit of a function as x approaches infinity means finding the value that the function approaches as x gets larger and larger.

2. How do you determine if a limit at infinity exists?

If the function approaches a finite value as x approaches infinity, then the limit exists. However, if the function approaches positive or negative infinity, then the limit does not exist.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the values of the function as x approaches from one direction, either the left or the right. A two-sided limit takes into account both directions of approach and gives the same result for both.

4. Can a limit at infinity be calculated algebraically?

Yes, a limit at infinity can be calculated algebraically by simplifying the function and then taking the limit as x approaches infinity. However, in some cases, the limit may need to be evaluated using other methods, such as L'Hopital's rule.

5. How does the graph of a function help in evaluating limits at infinity?

The graph of a function can provide visual representation of how the function behaves as x approaches infinity. This can help in determining if a limit exists and what its value may be.