Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evalute expression of associated Legendre's polynomial

1. Nov 12, 2009 #1
    Dear All,

I am implementing the scattering of dielectric sphere under electromagnetic plane wave. The expression of the field contain [tex]\frac{P_n^1(\cos\theta)}{\sin\theta}[/tex] and[tex]\sin\theta P_n^1'(\cos\theta)[/tex], where the derivative is with respect to the argument.

These two terms are giving me difficulty when [tex]\theta=0[/tex] or [tex]\theta=\pi[/tex].

When [tex]\theta=\pi[/tex], in one book (Harrington's Time-Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields), both terms are stated to be
    [tex]\frac{(-1)^n n(n+1)}{2}[/tex] on Page 295. In another book (Balanis' Advanced Electromagnetic Engineering), both terms are equal [tex]-\frac{(-1)^n n(n+1)}{2}[/tex].

I don't know which one is correct. Could someone tell me how could I evaluate these two expressions at [tex]\theta=0, \pi[/tex]. Thank you.

kzhu

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2009 #2
    they are both right, depending only which phase convention do you use for the Legendre Polynomial terms.
    Legendre Polynoms are defined as an orthonormal basis, a phase (as a sign) doesn't affects their physical description, try to understand the physical meaning of what are you doing in order to solve this phase problem...

4. Nov 22, 2009 #3
    Thx for the discussion.

I was able to derive these two expressions. The method is to use the recursive relation of associated legendre's function
    [tex](m-n-1)P_{n+1}^m(x) + (2n+1)xP_n^m(x) - (m+n)P_{n-1}^m = 0.[/tex]
    and get
    [tex]\frac{P_{n+1}^1}{\sin\theta} = \frac{2n+1}{n}\cos\theta\frac{P_n^1}{\sin\theta}-\frac{n+1}{n}\frac{P_{n-1}^1}{\sin\theta}.[/tex]
    which is another recursive relation. If we substitute
    [tex]P_1^1(\cos\theta) =
    -\sin\theta[/tex][tex]P_2^1(\cos\theta)=-3\cos\theta\sin\theta[/tex], and
    [tex]P_3^1(\cos\theta)=-\frac{3}{2}(5\cos^2\theta-1)\sin\theta[/tex]
    the [tex]\sin\theta[/tex] will cancel out. With the recursive relation, the proof with math induction towards the expressions is straightforward. :)

I still have difficulty to map the solution with [tex]e^{j\omega t}[/tex] convention to [tex]e^{-j\omega t}[/tex] though. :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook