Troubleshooting a difficult integral

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about reconciling two integrals, A and B, and how to show that certain terms in the integrals are equal. The conversation also includes a disagreement about the correctness of one of the integrals, which is eventually resolved. The conversation ends with the speaker planning to reverse-engineer the answer from a website and identifying which partial fraction is supposed to yield the integral.
{???}
Hello everyone,

I have a maths question (for a change). In summary, I would like to reconcile the following two integrals:
Integral A: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+(a^2tan^2theta)/(a-b+cos+theta)+dtheta
[tex]
\int\frac{x^2\,dx}{\sqrt{x^2+a^2}(\sqrt{x^2+a^2}-b)}
=x
+b\ln(\sqrt{a^2+x^2}+x)
-\sqrt{a^2-b^2}\tan^{-1}\frac{bx}{\sqrt{a^2-b^2}\sqrt{a^2+x^2}}
-\sqrt{a^2-b^2}\tan^{-1}\frac{x}{\sqrt{a^2-b^2}}
+C.
[/tex]
Integral B: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+x^2/(sqrt(x^2+a^2)*(sqrt(x^2+a^2)-b))
[tex]
\int\frac{a^2\tan^2\theta\,d\theta}{a-b\cos\theta}
=
a\tan\theta
+b\ln\frac{\cos\tfrac{\theta}{2}+\sin\tfrac{\theta}{2}}{\cos\tfrac{\theta}{2}-\sin\tfrac{\theta}{2}}
-2\sqrt{a^2-b^2}\tan^{-1}\left(\sqrt\frac{a+b}{a-b}\tan\frac{\theta}{2}\right)
+C.
[/tex]
Note that Integral B is integral A with the substitution ##x=a\tan\theta##. Thus terms 1 and 2 in Integral A are the same as terms 1 and 2 in Integral B (term #2 requires some trigonometric manipulation and borrows a factor ##\ln a## from the integration constant).

My question is about the remaining terms. Namely, how do I show that
[tex]
\tan^{-1}\frac{bx}{\sqrt{a^2-b^2}\sqrt{a^2+x^2}}
+\tan^{-1}\frac{x}{\sqrt{a^2-b^2}}
+C=
2\tan^{-1}\left(\sqrt\frac{a+b}{a-b}\tan\left[\frac{1}{2}\tan^{-1}\frac{x}{a}\right]\right)
+C'?
[/tex]
I allow ##C\neq C'## in case this turns out to be necessary. I have tried using trigonometric identities (e.g. ##\tan(A+B),\tan(\theta/2)##), and also computing the derivatives of both expressions to check that they are exactly equal, but this doesn't seem to work. I know the following:
1. Integral A is correct (checking the derivative of the result is equal to the integrand).
2. I can reproduce Integral B step-by-step (will supply proof if necessary).

Can anyone please shed some light on this problem? I would certainly appreciate it!

Cheerio,
QM

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to use the addition formula of ##\tan^{-1}##? That is,
$$\tan^{-1}(u) + \tan^{-1}(v) =\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{u + v}{1 - uv}\right)\quad (mod\: \pi)$$

Your ##\theta## integral is wrong. You have,$$

\int \frac{x^2dx}{(x^2 +a^2) -b\sqrt((x^2 +a^2))}
$$
Substitute ##x=a\tan(\theta)##$$
dx=\frac{ad\theta}{\cos^2(\theta)}
$$
Therefore your ##\theta## integral should be,
$$
\int \frac{\tan^2(\theta)\cos^4(\theta)d\theta}{a-b\cos(\theta)}
$$

eys_physics said:
Have you tried to use the addition formula of ##\tan^{-1}##? That is,
$$\tan^{-1}(u) + \tan^{-1}(v) =\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{u + v}{1 - uv}\right)\quad (mod\: \pi)$$
Yes:
{?} said:
I have tried using trigonometric identities (e.g. ##\tan(A+B),\tan(\theta/2)##), and also computing the derivatives of both expressions to check that they are exactly equal...
The formula you quote is just the inverse of the identity ##\tan(A+B)=(\tan A+\tan B)/(1-\tan A\tan B)##. While this seems an extremely obvious way to proceed, the expressions I get just become messier and do not begin to resemble the other side of the tentative equation I wish to prove.

Fred Wright said:
Your ##\theta## integral is wrong.
Fred Wright said:
$$
dx=\frac{ad\theta}{\cos^2(\theta)}
$$
Therefore your ##\theta## integral should be,
$$
\int \frac{\tan^2(\theta)\cos^4(\theta)d\theta}{a-b\cos(\theta)}
$$
No, your integral is wrong. You have multiplied by ##\cos^2\theta## in the final line instead of dividing by it.

My calculation is correct and I can prove it. Integral A:
[tex]
[/tex]
Substitute ##x=a\tan\theta,dx=a\sec^2\theta\,d\theta##:
[tex]
\int\frac{a^3\tan^2\theta\sec^2\theta\,d\theta}{\sqrt{a^2(1+\tan^2\theta)}(\sqrt{a^2(1+\tan^2\theta)}-b)}
[/tex]
[tex]
=\int\frac{a^3\tan^2\theta\sec^2\theta\,d\theta}{a\sec\theta(a\sec\theta-b)}
[/tex]
[tex]
=\int\frac{a^2\tan^2\theta\sec\theta\,d\theta}{a\sec\theta-b}
[/tex]
[tex]
=\int\frac{a^2\tan^2\theta\,d\theta}{a-b\cos\theta}
[/tex]
If you disagree with any line of my arithmetic, please quote me there specifically.

I am going to try to reverse-engineer WA's answer by differentiating the terms in question, substituting as I would to solve the integral, and identifying which partial fraction is supposed to yield this integral.

FYI I solved my problem on my own.

While my solution is perfectly valid, it uses a Weierstrass substitution which is actually not needed for the integral (although it is quite surprising that it is not necessary!). As luck would have it, the integral can be subdued without the sneaky ##\theta=2\phi## substitution, and by doing so we reproduce the WA result.

Moderators, please feel free to close this thread.

{?} said:
Yes:

The formula you quote is just the inverse of the identity ##\tan(A+B)=(\tan A+\tan B)/(1-\tan A\tan B)##. While this seems an extremely obvious way to proceed, the expressions I get just become messier and do not begin to resemble the other side of the tentative equation I wish to prove.
No, your integral is wrong. You have multiplied by ##\cos^2\theta## in the final line instead of dividing by it.

My calculation is correct and I can prove it. Integral A:
[tex]
[/tex]
Substitute ##x=a\tan\theta,dx=a\sec^2\theta\,d\theta##:
[tex]
\int\frac{a^3\tan^2\theta\sec^2\theta\,d\theta}{\sqrt{a^2(1+\tan^2\theta)}(\sqrt{a^2(1+\tan^2\theta)}-b)}
[/tex]
[tex]
=\int\frac{a^3\tan^2\theta\sec^2\theta\,d\theta}{a\sec\theta(a\sec\theta-b)}
[/tex]
[tex]
=\int\frac{a^2\tan^2\theta\sec\theta\,d\theta}{a\sec\theta-b}
[/tex]
[tex]
=\int\frac{a^2\tan^2\theta\,d\theta}{a-b\cos\theta}
[/tex]
If you disagree with any line of my arithmetic, please quote me there specifically.

I am going to try to reverse-engineer WA's answer by differentiating the terms in question, substituting as I would to solve the integral, and identifying which partial fraction is supposed to yield this integral.
I apologize. Your right. I'm wrong. It must be my dyslexia. :H

Fred Wright said:
I apologize. Your right. I'm wrong. It must be my dyslexia. :H
No worries - It's a very tricky integral even (or perhaps especially?) without the Weierstrass substitution. :)

I have noticed that integrals arising from a physical scenario (rather than simply composed for mathematics) tend to have "nicer" answers. Without giving away too much, the integrals I discuss do indeed arise from a simple, if challenging, physics exercise. I just wanted to make sure they can be done and that the answer I get is correct.

Cheers,
QM

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. Why is troubleshooting a difficult integral important?

Troubleshooting a difficult integral is important because it allows us to find solutions to complex mathematical problems and make accurate predictions in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What are some common challenges in troubleshooting a difficult integral?

Some common challenges in troubleshooting a difficult integral include identifying the correct integration method to use, dealing with indefinite integrals, and handling complex functions or intervals.

4. How can I improve my skills in troubleshooting difficult integrals?

To improve your skills in troubleshooting difficult integrals, it is important to have a strong understanding of basic integration techniques, practice solving a variety of problems, and seek help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and tutors.

5. Are there any tips for successfully troubleshooting a difficult integral?

Yes, some tips for successfully troubleshooting a difficult integral include breaking the problem into smaller parts, using substitution or integration by parts when appropriate, and checking your answer using differentiation or an online calculator.