Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Event for scheduler when samba starts in windows 7

1. Feb 20, 2016 #1

DrDu

Science Advisor

I want to start a program with the event sheduler in windows 7 when samba establishes a connection for a network drive. I am not a windows guy. How do I do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2016 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

Samba is a Linux thing - it is a pun on the Server Message Block protocol used by earlier versions of Windows. I suggest you read up on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block and then get hold of some Windows API documentation. I suspect what you want to do is not easy (Microsoft do not want anybody to mess around with their code internals).

4. Feb 20, 2016 #3

DrDu

Science Advisor

Ok, I see. I think I will launch my program simply at login and check periodically for the existence of the drive. What I really want to do is to start some windows application once a linux application wrote the input for this application on the shared samba folder. I do this with a simple vbscript which checks periodically for the existence of the file. Not elegant, but in the environment I am forced to work, nothing is elegant anyhow.

Thank you very much for your help!

5. Feb 21, 2016 #4
    Hhhhmmm...drive? file?

Say, how would you do things differently if instead of waiting for a file via samba, all you had to do is wait for a file in the C:\ drive?. Once the samba drive is mapped onto Windows to, say the S:\ drive, things shouldn't be any different.

6. Feb 21, 2016 #5

DrDu

Science Advisor

You are right, there is no difference. But my first idea was to start the program which watches for a file each time that the samba connection for the drive is established. Now I think I will start the watcher on login and test first whether the drive is mounted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook