Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is editing Host file in windows 7 is dangerous?

1. May 12, 2015 #1
    Is editing Host file in windows 7 is dangerous?
    i want to edit Host file, so that i can bypass blocked sites. :)
    but i am fear whether will my pc's OS get damaged or not? :(

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2015 #2
    If you don't know what you are doing you can disrupt networking ability, but its pretty easy to fix any mistakes. Changing website IPs etc is pretty easy. Is this a school lab computer? I would advise against anything other than with your personal computer.

4. May 12, 2015 #3
    A free proxy service, like StartPage, can enable some blocks to be avoided

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  5. May 13, 2015 #4

Svein

Science Advisor

No, will not damage your OS, but I would save my original HOSTS file if I were you. Also, be sure that your anti-virus is updated and active.

6. May 14, 2015 #5

meBigGuy

Gold Member

7. May 30, 2015 #6
    If you change any files such as the HOST file then be sure to back it up somewhere in case you need to revert back to it. It won't effect your OS though, and if you ever did anything that disastrous then you can always just roll back to a Windows restore point or back to factory settings if you have a recovery partition.

8. Jun 9, 2015 #7
  9. Jun 28, 2015 #8
    To bypass blocked sites, I use free proxy server http://fineproxy.org/eng/ [Broken] to hide my real location. It works for me fine and OS is not damaged.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook