Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ever thought of living where no one knows you

1. Feb 25, 2016 #1

WIN

Just some random thoughts :smile:

ever thought of this:
    book a flight, leave a measage for your family and took off to somewhere no one know you and start your career and family there(provided you're not married and not attachment i mean).

which country would you fly to?
    let the imagination run free and share your thoughts :woot:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I flew to San Antonia, Texas, USA, for Basic Military Training. :-p

4. Feb 25, 2016 #3
    I have thought of it, but not for forever. Just for a weekend. Without leaving any message to my parents, just leave all alone. While they think I'm at my country, I'm actually thousands of miles away in another country! Bwahahaha! That's so evil and rebel.

I've thought about Las Vegas, California, for a weekend. And eat lots of chocolate at a hotel. I don't drink alcohol so I'll waste my money on chocolate. :biggrin:

5. Feb 25, 2016 #4
    I don't dream of a specific country. My dream is to become disgustingly rich, than sell everything and become a pilgrim. Living in the woods, in a cave only with a credit card in my pocket so that I wouldn't have to worry about profane things. Of course, I would spend as little as possible and leave the rest for the charity after my death. I would visit all the sacred places in the world. Than I would die peacefully with smile on my face knowing the TRUTH.

6. Feb 25, 2016 #5

I retired in Bali. I didn't know anyone there.

It was paradise. Then it changed and I got bored, so after ten years I left.

Once my duties here are done I'll try Yogyakarta. More remote possibilities are Ethiopia, Cyprus, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Timor Leste, Malawi, Republic of the Congo.

I once met a former Hungarian who lived with a tribe in Papua!

7. Feb 25, 2016 #6
    I sympathize with your way. But be careful when looking for The Truth. You don't want to end up like him. :-p I'm joking.
    Where is that? :bugeye:

8. Feb 25, 2016 #7
    Might I suggest a map?

9. Feb 25, 2016 #8
    Yep. Please.... Wait... you are making fun of me, aren't you? :oldgrumpy: It took me a little to catch on.

Google says it is an island, am I spot on? :oldconfused:

10. Feb 25, 2016 #9
    Island. You got it, dude.

11. Feb 25, 2016 #10
    Yay! :partytime: :biggrin:

12. Feb 25, 2016 #11

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Through about sixth grade my dream was to be a hermit. Seventh grade i noticed girls are pretty.

Mid life crisis time i envied Saul Bellow's character "Kenneth" , from "More Die of Heartbreak than Radiation"
    who
    Then some busy years went rushing by and i had no time to daydream
    but Fair Anne & i got all the kids launched

then like Gerry Rafferty said, we "settled down in some quiet little town, to forget about everything.."
    ; google 72482

If i win Lotto i think I'll move to Key West, buy the old high school for a workshop and build myself a fine wooden boat.

upload_2016-2-25_15-25-56.png

“Man staggers through life yapped at by his reason, pulled and shoved by his appetites, whispered to by fears, beckoned by hopes. Small wonder that what he craves most is self-forgetting.” eric hoffer

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  13. Feb 25, 2016 #12
    That sounds nice. Not anymore? I would be your apprentice if you decide to become one. :smile:

14. Feb 25, 2016 #13
    I would start a new life in Bali or Fiji as a dive instructor :smile:

15. Feb 25, 2016 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In this context, does "remote" refer to how far off the beaten trail they are, or does it mean there is only a small possibility that you'll actually do it?

16. Feb 25, 2016 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Las Vegas is in Nevada - next door to California :oldbiggrin:

17. Feb 25, 2016 #16
    Oh my. I got it wrong. Thanks for the correction. To Las Vegas, Nevada it is then. :biggrin:

18. Feb 25, 2016 #17

strangerep

Science Advisor

I guess you haven't seen their recent weather reports? :oldeek:

19. Feb 25, 2016 #18
    Small chance. But greater than zero, definitely.

20. Feb 25, 2016 #19

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

21. Feb 25, 2016 #20

strangerep

Science Advisor

Speaking of leaving (almost) everything behind, I did exactly that a few months ago. (But I did research things quite a bit before doing so.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted