1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Every nxn matrix can be written as a linear combination of matrices in GL(n,F)

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove: Every nxn matrix can be written as a linear combination of matrices in GL(n,F).

2. Relevant equations
    GL(n,F) = the set of all nxn invertible matrices over the field F together with the operation of matrix multiplication.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know all matrices in GL(n,F) are invertible and hence have linearly independent columns and rows. I was thinking perhaps there is something about the joint bases for the n-dimensional column and row spaces, respectively, that could provide a basis for M_{nxn}(F), which has dimension of n^2. But I'm not really sure if that works.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2012 #2
    Okay, I figured it out. Nevermind (although once a post gets buried two screens back, it's not likely to be answered anyway, even if it has zero replies...).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook