Every nxn matrix can be written as a linear combination of matrices in GL(n,F)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
fishshoe
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Prove: Every nxn matrix can be written as a linear combination of matrices in GL(n,F).


Homework Equations


GL(n,F) = the set of all nxn invertible matrices over the field F together with the operation of matrix multiplication.


The Attempt at a Solution


I know all matrices in GL(n,F) are invertible and hence have linearly independent columns and rows. I was thinking perhaps there is something about the joint bases for the n-dimensional column and row spaces, respectively, that could provide a basis for M_{nxn}(F), which has dimension of n^2. But I'm not really sure if that works.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I figured it out. Nevermind (although once a post gets buried two screens back, it's not likely to be answered anyway, even if it has zero replies...).