Evolution: Half tall, half small?

• Thread starter P-Jay1
  • Start date
A little while back I heard a scientist speak of a division that will happen as humans evolve further. He said that humans would either be about 10 foot tall or around 2 foot tall. So around half the population would be realllllllly really tall and the other half rather small.

I believe humans are getting taller, although I think this is a little bit of a tall tale. Anybody got any views on this?

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I think this sounds silly. Who was this scientist?

I think this sounds silly. Who was this scientist?

You're right. It really does sound absurd. Although I do like to imagine a world were one day really tall folk and really small folk unite and create some medium sized folk.

And I can't remember the name of the scientist for the life of me.

MATLABdude
Science Advisor
When I was young (early 80s), the tale told me was that tall people tended to be attracted to short people (don't really have enough statistical anecdotal experience to comment on the validity of that). While the thinking was that it was some sort of balancing mechanism which would produce medium-sized people, more thinking leads me to think that sexual dimorphism could result (maybe the two populations would actually turn out to be which gender has the tall and which has the short gene).

Evo
Mentor
No references, no thread.