Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evo's found a new yard tool - a Flame Weeder!

1. May 28, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I won't even have to rake up and haul away the weeds now.

VT 2-23 C WEED DRAGON® – 100,000 BTU Deluxe Vapor Torch Kit
    The WEED DRAGON is the perfect propane torch kit for home and garden use. We've regulated the flame and BTU down for homeowners who don't need the power of a farm torch and we've even assembled it. This torch kit is still plenty powerful and generates heat up to 2,000° F. This kit IS NOT like wimpy cane torches you may have seen that run on disposable cylinders. The 100,000 BTU Weed Dragon quickly hooks up to any refillable propane tank (barbeque cylinders work great) and even comes with a hand-tighten tank fitting (you don't even need a wrench).

http://www.flameengineering.com/Weed_Dragon.html

ooops (For outdoor use only - Avoid conifers & flammable residue such as pine needles, evergreen mulch, etc.) I guess I should have waited for a less windy day. :frown:

:redface:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2006 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

WHOA! Did you show this to Tsu yet?

4. May 28, 2006 #3

JamesU

Gold Member

whoops, there goes the stanford tree...oh no...:uhh:

5. May 28, 2006 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

no doubt! the most flammable tree in the world!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6. May 28, 2006 #5
    Yes I did find a flame thower...Can exuse me for minute
    1 pwn u n00b 7r33hu663r5 1 w1|| pwn 7h15 7r33 w17h my f|4m37h0w3r w007 1 ju57 pwn 50m3 h1pp135 w17h my n3w 4nd 1mpr0v3d f|4m3 7h0w3r f0rm h4|0 w007!

7. May 28, 2006 #6

wolram

Gold Member

The best pyromania clinics are in England, but what the hey enjoy before the
    jacket men come.

8. May 28, 2006 #7

Astronuc

Agricultural acetic acid (20%) which it seems to me to be glacial acetic acid is apparently recommended for certain noxious weeds. Also, one can simply lay a tarpaulin or black plastic cover over a certain area to kill the weeds, then remove the roots and replant with desired plants - grasses or even better, native vegetation.

9. May 28, 2006 #8
    VT 2-23 C WEED DRAGON® – 100,000 BTU Deluxe Vapor Torch Kit

.........I think it just might work on my ivy gone wild problem.....:biggrin:

I would welcome any solution for that!

10. May 28, 2006 #9
    I saw that in a magazine over the winter and considered using it to melt the snow off my sidewalks instead of shoveling.:rofl: Didn't get it though. (my back hasn't forgiven me since.)

11. May 28, 2006 #10

JamesU

Gold Member

y0(_)|23 50 |4/\/\3

12. May 28, 2006 #11

Mk

Thank you lawn-guru!

13. May 28, 2006 #12
    20% is nowhere near glacial (100%, nearly anhydrous) acetic acid, and a good thing too!

14. May 28, 2006 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

RIP Evo (if she buys it)

15. May 28, 2006 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh my! :bugeye: Do you have a date with tribdog? Do we still have time to get the forestry service out to cut the fire breaks around your house?

16. May 28, 2006 #15
    I've got one like that. Except mine doesn't have that wussy regulator on it like the Red Dragon one shows. Tank pressure at the nozzle. Can't beat it.
    -
    For even more fun with propane check this link out: http://www.rodenator.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2007
  17. May 29, 2006 #16

Astronuc

Yeah, I was using my faulty memory from high school chemsitry. :rolleyes: I should have checked term before posting.

Nevertheless 20% is pretty darn strong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?