Evo's found a new yard tool - a Flame Weeder

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Agricultural acetic acid (20%) which it seems to me to be glacial acetic acid is apparently recommended for certain noxious weeds. This kit is still plenty powerful and generates heat up to 2,000° F. The WEED DRAGON quickly hooks up to any refillable propane tank (barbeque cylinders work great) and even comes with a hand-tighten tank fitting. This propane torch is perfect for homeowners who don't need the power of a farm torch and it even comes with a hand-tighten tank fitting.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I won't even have to rake up and haul away the weeds now.

VT 2-23 C WEED DRAGON® – 100,000 BTU Deluxe Vapor Torch Kit
The WEED DRAGON is the perfect propane torch kit for home and garden use. We've regulated the flame and BTU down for homeowners who don't need the power of a farm torch and we've even assembled it. This torch kit is still plenty powerful and generates heat up to 2,000° F. This kit IS NOT like wimpy cane torches you may have seen that run on disposable cylinders. The 100,000 BTU Weed Dragon quickly hooks up to any refillable propane tank (barbeque cylinders work great) and even comes with a hand-tighten tank fitting (you don't even need a wrench).

http://www.flameengineering.com/Weed_Dragon.html

ooops (For outdoor use only - Avoid conifers & flammable residue such as pine needles, evergreen mulch, etc.) I guess I should have waited for a less windy day. :frown:

:redface:

5fireactivitynorthsidebooth7hs.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
WHOA! Did you show this to Tsu yet?

whoops, there goes the stanford tree...oh no...:uhh:

yomamma said:
no doubt! the most flammable tree in the world!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

yomamma said:
Yes I did find a flame thower...Can exuse me for minute
1 pwn u n00b 7r33hu663r5 1 w1|| pwn 7h15 7r33 w17h my f|4m37h0w3r w007 1 ju57 pwn 50m3 h1pp135 w17h my n3w 4nd 1mpr0v3d f|4m3 7h0w3r f0rm h4|0 w007!

The best pyromania clinics are in England, but what the hey enjoy before the
jacket men come.

Agricultural acetic acid (20%) which it seems to me to be glacial acetic acid is apparently recommended for certain noxious weeds. Also, one can simply lay a tarpaulin or black plastic cover over a certain area to kill the weeds, then remove the roots and replant with desired plants - grasses or even better, native vegetation.

VT 2-23 C WEED DRAGON® – 100,000 BTU Deluxe Vapor Torch Kit

...I think it just might work on my ivy gone wild problem...:biggrin:

I would welcome any solution for that!

I saw that in a magazine over the winter and considered using it to melt the snow off my sidewalks instead of shoveling.:rofl: Didn't get it though. (my back hasn't forgiven me since.)

scott1 said:
Yes I did find a flame thower...Can exuse me for minute
1 pwn u n00b 7r33hu663r5 1 w1|| pwn 7h15 7r33 w17h my f|4m37h0w3r w007 1 ju57 pwn 50m3 h1pp135 w17h my n3w 4nd 1mpr0v3d f|4m3 7h0w3r f0rm h4|0 w007!
y0(_)|23 50 |4/\/\3

Agricultural acetic acid (20%) which it seems to me to be glacial acetic acid is apparently recommended for certain noxious weeds. Also, one can simply lay a tarpaulin or black plastic cover over a certain area to kill the weeds, then remove the roots and replant with desired plants - grasses or even better, native vegetation.
Thank you lawn-guru!

Astronuc said:
Agricultural acetic acid (20%) which it seems to me to be glacial acetic acid is apparently recommended for certain noxious weeds.

20% is nowhere near glacial (100%, nearly anhydrous) acetic acid, and a good thing too!

RIP Evo (if she buys it)

Oh my! :bugeye: Do you have a date with tribdog? Do we still have time to get the forestry service out to cut the fire breaks around your house?

I've got one like that. Except mine doesn't have that wussy regulator on it like the Red Dragon one shows. Tank pressure at the nozzle. Can't beat it.
-
For even more fun with propane check this link out: http://www.rodenator.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Rach3 said:
20% is nowhere near glacial (100%, nearly anhydrous) acetic acid, and a good thing too!
Yeah, I was using my faulty memory from high school chemsitry. :rolleyes: I should have checked term before posting.

Nevertheless 20% is pretty darn strong.

1. What is a flame weeder?

A flame weeder is a gardening tool that utilizes heat from a propane torch to kill weeds. It works by heating the plant's cells to the point of bursting, which causes the plant to die.

2. How does a flame weeder work?

A flame weeder works by directing a flame at the base of weeds, exposing them to high temperatures. This heat destroys the plant's cells and effectively kills the weed. It is a chemical-free and environmentally friendly alternative to herbicides.

3. Is a flame weeder safe to use?

When used correctly, a flame weeder is generally safe to use. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and take proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and using the tool in a well-ventilated area. However, caution should be taken when using a flame weeder near flammable materials.

4. Can a flame weeder be used on any type of weed?

Flame weeders are most effective on annual weeds, such as dandelions and crabgrass. They may not be as effective on perennial weeds with deep root systems, such as thistles. Additionally, caution should be taken when using a flame weeder on weeds growing near desirable plants, as the heat can damage or kill them as well.

5. Are there any benefits to using a flame weeder over traditional weeding methods?

One of the main benefits of using a flame weeder is that it is a chemical-free and eco-friendly method of weed control. It also eliminates the need for bending or kneeling while weeding, making it a more ergonomic option. Additionally, a flame weeder can be more time-efficient than traditional weeding methods, as it can cover a larger area in a shorter amount of time.