Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exact Sequences - Lifting Homomorphisms - D&F Ch 10 - Theorem 28

1. May 12, 2014 #1
    I am reading Dummit and Foote, Chapter 10, Section 10.5, Exact Sequences - Projective, Injective and Flat Modules.

I need help with a minor step of D&F, Chapter 10, Theorem 28 on liftings of homomorphisms.

In the proof of the first part of the theorem (see image below) D&F make the following statement:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conversely, if F is in the image of [itex] \psi'[/itex] then [itex] F = \psi' (F') [/itex] for some [itex] F' \in Hom_R (D, L) [/itex] and so [itex] \phi ( F (d) )) = \phi ( \psi ( F' (d))) [/itex] for any [itex]d \in D[/itex]. ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My problem is that surely [itex] F = \psi' (F') [/itex] implies that [itex] \phi ( F (d) )) = \phi ( \psi' ( F' (d))) [/itex] and NOT [itex] \phi ( F (d) )) = \phi ( \psi ( F' (d))) [/itex]?

Hoping someone can help>

Theorem 28 and the first part of the proof read as follows:

attachment.php?attachmentid=69697&stc=1&d=1399873986.png

Peter

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This cannot be true. We know that ##F^\prime\in \textrm{Hom}(D,L)##, and thus ##F^\prime(d)\in L##. But the domain of ##\psi^\prime## is not ##L##, but rather ##\textrm{Hom}(D,L)##. So ##\psi^\prime(F^\prime(d))## makes no sense since ##F^\prime(d)## is not in the domain of ##\psi^\prime##.

4. May 12, 2014 #3
    Thanks ...

Yes, you are right ...

BUT, now I have two problems ...

Problem 1 ... to get [itex] \phi ( F (d) )) = \phi ( \psi' ( F' (d))) [/itex] I simply replaced the [itex]F[/itex] with [itex] \psi' (F') [/itex] since we have that [itex] F = \psi' (F') [/itex] ... but presumably I did something 'illegal' ... can you explain my error?

Problem 2 ... How then does it follow that [itex] \phi ( F (d) )) = \phi ( \psi ( F' (d))) [/itex] for any [itex]d \in D[/itex] (given that [itex] F = \psi' (F') [/itex]? Can you help?

Peter

5. May 12, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you simply substituted, then you would have gotten

[tex]F(d) = \psi^\prime(F^\prime)(d)[/tex]

Thus ##\psi^\prime(F^\prime)## acts on ##d##. You would not get [tex]F(d) = \psi^\prime(F^\prime(d))[/tex]

Now, by definition, we have ##\psi^\prime(F^\prime) = \psi\circ F^\prime##. Thus

[tex]F(d) = \psi^\prime(F^\prime)(d) = (\psi\circ F^\prime)(d) = \psi(F^\prime(d))[/tex]

6. May 12, 2014 #5
    Thanks ... appreciate your help ... given me the confidence to go forward from there in my attempt to understand projective modules

Thanks again,

Peter

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook