Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Example of a variable capacitor input op-amp to voltage...

1. May 25, 2015 #1
    example of a varible capacitor input op-amp to voltage level circuit.

I'm not sure how to turn reactance to a voltage level using an op-amp? :wink:

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2015 #2

meBigGuy

Gold Member

maybe you could try to explain what you are doing in the initial post. What capacitance range, what accuracy, how fast to respond, what voltage range, etc.

First read up on "how to build a capacitance meter" or "measure capacitance" to get some ideas. Measuring capacitance requires a time or frequency based solution.

4. May 25, 2015 #3
    a capacitive probe being measured by a resistive ladder adc. 0-5 volt range, response time not important, 10 bit accuracy but the increments will be determined by the probes range which is unknown.

5. May 25, 2015 #4
    did I say resistive ladder o:) I was think of a dac, prob successive approximation but I'm not looking at the data sheet.

6. May 26, 2015 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

that doesn't make sense

that did

if you want people to help you, you need to explain your project more clearly

Dave

7. May 26, 2015 #6

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

One could apply direct current and measure rate of voltage rise, or measure voltage after known charge has accumulated,
    or apply voltage with known dv/dt and measure current,

this circuit's period of oscillation will be in proportion to capacitance... and slope inversely so.
    One could perhaps follow it with a differentiator and precision rectifier to arrive at inverse of C.......

triangle-wave-generator.png

you've given no hint what you're trying to do.

I could interpret this as relating to varactor diode chopper opamps from 1950's, but i doubt it's what you meant.

.As Davenn observed, a question well stated is half answered and yours is neither.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook