1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Example of For every b ∈ R7, the system ATx = b is consistent

1. Apr 3, 2014 #1
    example of "For every b ∈ R7, the system ATx = b is consistent"

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"For every b ∈ R7, the system ATx = b is consistent"

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question. There's isn't a subsection known as 'general math' for me to post.

What does the above statement implies? Any examples?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you told what A is or is it a general matrix?

4. Apr 3, 2014 #3

You are given that A is an 8 × 11 matrix of nullity 7.

There are a few intermediate question before the question in OP. I manage to get the questions correct so there's no issue.
    As for the question in the OP, I suppose I do not understand what the question is implying.

5. Apr 3, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is asks for conditions under which the equations ##A^T x = b## have at least one solution for every possible right-hand-side ##b \in \mathbb{R}^7##.

However, are you sure you have stated the question correctly? If ##A## is an ##8 \times 11## matrix, ##x## must be in ##\mathbb{R}^{8}## and ##A^T x## is in ##\mathbb{R}^{11}##. Therefore, it would be impossible for a vector in ##b \in \mathbb{R}^7## to be equal to ##A^Tx \in \mathbb{R}^{11}##, no matter how you select ##x##.

Anyway, in general for a system of equations, "consistency" means that the equations do not ask for the impossible---that is, that the system has at least one solution. "Inconsistency" means the opposite: the system has no solutions at all. An example of an inconsistent system would be
    [tex]x_1 + x_2 = 1\\
    3x_1 + 3x_2 = 4[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted