Example of *Non* Cartesian Vector/Tensor (not the coordinate s

In summary: A tensor is a complex-valued mathematical object that is usually represented by a vector in a Cartesian coordinate system. A non-Cartesian coordinate system is a coordinate system that does not use the Cartesian coordinate system.
applestrudle
...system, I mean as in the Cartesian Vector/Tensor definition.

I get that if you have two mutually orthogonal basises which are theta degrees apart and the transformation from one basis to the other follows the same as a rotation by theta degrees i.e:

V'i = Rij Vj

then it is a Cartesian vector.

Does that mean if you wanted to change the basis from a mutually orthogonal one to a non mutually orthogonal one V would no longer be a Cartesian vector? Are there any other (better) examples of non Cartesian Vectors?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Objects which transform as general vectors (or tensors) are always Cartesian vectors (tensors) as the Cartesian coordinate transformations are a special case of the more general coordinate transformations. The reverse is not true, you can have a Cartesian vector which is not a vector under general coordinate transformations as it can transform as a vector under Cartesian transformations but this does not imply that it will transform as a vector under more general coordinate transformations.

I would not call any object a "non-Cartesian vector" as this seems to imply that it is not a vector under Cartesian coordinate transformations. The more general concept would just be "vectors".

Orodruin said:
Objects which transform as general vectors (or tensors) are always Cartesian vectors (tensors) as the Cartesian coordinate transformations are a special case of the more general coordinate transformations.

Does this just mean all proper/polar vectors are always Cartesian vectors?

and
Orodruin said:
the Cartesian coordinate transformations
are proper rotations (determinate +1) ?

Orodruin said:
The reverse is not true, you can have a Cartesian vector which is not a vector under general coordinate transformations as it can transform as a vector under Cartesian transformations but this does not imply that it will transform as a vector under more general coordinate transformations.

You can have a Cartesian vector which transforms as a vector under proper rotations but does not transform as a vector under improper rotations (determinant -1). I.e you can have a pseudo which is also a Cartesian vector? How can it then be that the transformation law for a Cartesian vector is V'i = Rij Vj ? Is a pseudo vector only a Cartesian vector under proper (Cartesian) transformation?

Last edited:
Does anyone have any examples? It would really help

What exactly do you mean by "Cartesian Vector"? The representation of an arbitrary vector in a cartesian coordinate system?

mfb said:
What exactly do you mean by "Cartesian Vector"? The representation of an arbitrary vector in a cartesian coordinate system?

Isn't a vector an rank 1 tensor? So I mean a rank 1 version of this (https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sour...espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=cartesian tensor definition)

Is a Cartesian vector just a vector with an orthogonal basis that transforms to another orthogonal basis by a proper rotation?

applestrudle said:
Does this just mean all proper/polar vectors are always Cartesian vectors?

Yes, but all Cartesian tensors are not tensors under general transformations. An example is the Levi-Civita symbol ##\varepsilon_{ijk}##. It is a Cartesian (pseudo) tensor, but not a tensor under general transformations. (It is, however, a tensor density.)

applestrudle said:
Is a pseudo vector only a Cartesian vector under proper (Cartesian) transformation?
Under proper rotations, pseudo vectors and vectors behave in the same way. This is not restricted to Cartesian vectors.

Is there any proper definition for non cartesian coordinates?

jenny vannesa said:
Is there any proper definition for non cartesian coordinates?
Why would there not be? Any coordinate system which is not Cartesian is non-Cartesian.

if we talk about non cartesian tensor then what does its mean?

jenny vannesa said:
if we talk about non cartesian tensor then what does its mean?
You really should then just be talking about "tensor". At what level have you learned what a Cartesian tensor is? (Your answer here will make it easier to gaugke the level of the response.)

cartesian coordinates are those coordinates which indicate the location of point relative to its fixed refrence point.
In case of three points, they all intersect at right triangle at the origin.

jenny vannesa said:
cartesian coordinates are those coordinates which indicate the location of point relative to its fixed refrence point.
In case of three points, they all intersect at right triangle at the origin.
This is just the coordinates. The question was about tensors.

Kindly tell me the right answer about non cartesian tensor because tomorrow will last date for my assignment submition.

1. What is a non-Cartesian vector/tensor?

A non-Cartesian vector/tensor is a mathematical object that represents a quantity with both magnitude and direction, but is not defined in the traditional Cartesian coordinate system. This means that the vector/tensor is not described using x, y, and z coordinates, but instead uses alternative coordinate systems such as spherical or cylindrical coordinates.

2. What are some examples of non-Cartesian vectors/tensors?

Some examples of non-Cartesian vectors/tensors include velocity and acceleration in physics, wind direction and speed in meteorology, and strain and stress in engineering. These quantities cannot be accurately described using only Cartesian coordinates.

3. What are the advantages of using non-Cartesian vectors/tensors?

Non-Cartesian vectors/tensors can provide a more intuitive and natural way to describe certain physical phenomena. They also allow for more efficient and accurate calculations in certain situations, such as when dealing with circular or spherical objects.

4. How are non-Cartesian vectors/tensors represented mathematically?

Non-Cartesian vectors/tensors are typically represented using basis vectors that are specific to the chosen coordinate system. These basis vectors are used to express the vector/tensor in terms of its components in that particular coordinate system.

5. Can non-Cartesian vectors/tensors be transformed into Cartesian vectors/tensors?

Yes, it is possible to transform non-Cartesian vectors/tensors into Cartesian ones using mathematical equations. This is useful when working with data that is given in one coordinate system but needs to be converted for use in a different coordinate system.