Excel: Need to Edit Activate Add-Ins Each time I use Them

In summary, the conversation is about a person using Excel 2007 and needing to install an add-in called 'Analysis ToolPak' in order to perform a linear regression. They are curious about whether there is a way to make the add-in stay active between sessions without having to reinstall it each time. There is also a discussion about the capabilities of older versions of Excel and how to make add-ins persistent.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
When I use Excel Add-Ins I must install each time I use.
Hi All,
I am doing a linear regression in Excel 2007. It is not available within the usual settings so I must. Edit: activate , an add-in called (Duh) Edit' Analysis Toolpak'

What seems strange is that I have to install it each time I use it so that it seems to be installed only when the session is open.

Is there a way of installing the add-in permanently so that it is available each time and I don't have to install it each time I use it?Thanks.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
I am doing a linear regression in Excel 2007. It is not available within the usual settings so I must install an add-in called (Duh) 'Data Analysis'.
Are you sure it is called 'Data Analysis'? Linear regression is part of the 'Analysis ToolPak' add-in provided by Microsoft so if you are using an add-in called 'Data Analysis' then it must be from some third party. I can confirm that the Analysis ToolPak add in does stay active between sessions for me on Office 365.

My bad, you're right, it is called 'Analysis ToolPak'. But if I close a session it dissappears and I must reinstall it each time I EDIT open a new session. Is there a way of installing it permamnently so I don't have to reinstall it each time? No major issue, just curious.

Do you mean 'reinstall', or just 'reactivate'? What version of Excel is this?

EDIT: You already said, it is Office 2007. I can't remember how you used to make add-ins persistent in Office 2007 but it's possible Windows 10 doesn't support it because Office 2007 is end of life.

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
Is there a way of installing it permamnently so I don't have to reinstall it each time?
You're running a fairly old version of Excel, so I can't speak to the capabilities of that version as compared to newer versions.

In my version (of Office 2016), one of the dropdowns under the File menu is Options. In the Excel Options pane, the next-to-last item in the pane on the left side is Add-ins. The pane at the right shows Active Application Add-ins, Inactive Application Add-ins, and Disabled Application Add-ins.

If Excel 2007 works anything like the newer versions, I suspect that Analysis Toolpak is either inactive or disabled. If so, select this add-in, and click Go near the bottom of the pane to keep it active from one session to the next.

Likes WWGD and pbuk
pbuk said:
Do you mean 'reinstall', or just 'reactivate'? What version of Excel is this?

EDIT: You already said, it is Office 2007. I can't remember how you used to make add-ins persistent in Office 2007 but it's possible Windows 10 doesn't support it because Office 2007 is end of life.
It's 2007. I must reactivate it, my bad again, .e., select it as an add-in and reinstall it.

1. Why do I need to edit and activate add-ins each time I use them in Excel?

Add-ins in Excel are temporary extensions that provide additional functionality to the program. They are not permanently installed, so they need to be activated each time you use them.

2. Can I make add-ins permanently activated in Excel?

No, add-ins must be activated each time you use them. This is to prevent any potential conflicts or errors that may occur if multiple add-ins are activated at the same time.

3. How do I edit and activate add-ins in Excel?

To edit and activate add-ins in Excel, go to the "File" tab and select "Options." Then, click on "Add-ins" and choose "Excel Add-ins" from the dropdown menu. Click "Go" and check the box next to the add-in you want to activate. Click "OK" to save the changes.

4. My add-ins are not showing up in Excel. How can I fix this?

If your add-ins are not showing up in Excel, it could be because they are disabled. To enable them, go to the "File" tab, select "Options," and click on "Add-ins." Choose "Excel Add-ins" from the dropdown menu and click "Go." Check the box next to the add-in you want to enable and click "OK."

5. Can I create my own add-ins in Excel?

Yes, you can create your own add-ins in Excel using Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). This allows you to customize and automate certain tasks or functions in Excel. However, some programming knowledge is required to create add-ins.