Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exchange interaction in solid state physics

1. Aug 5, 2009 #1
    [tex]I(\vec{n}-\vec{m})=\frac{1}{N}\sum_{\vec{k}}I(\vec{k})e^{i\vec{k}(\vec{n}-\vec{m})}[/tex]

[tex]I(\vec{n}-\vec{m})=\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}\sum_{\vec{k}}I(\vec{k})e^{i\vec{k}(\vec{n}-\vec{m})}[/tex]

In which cases is better to use first and in which second relation? [tex]N[/tex] is number of knottes of lattice.

And when I can say [tex]I(\vec{n}-\vec{m})=I(|\vec{n}-\vec{m}|)[/tex]?

And is it a way to show

[tex]\sum_{\vec{k}}I(\vec{k})=\sum_{-\vec{k}}I(\vec{k})[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2009 #2
    please i am anew member can you explain the meanings of the symbols

4. Aug 8, 2009 #3
    This has nothing to do with exchange interactions, and is a problem of Fourier transforms. These are elementary questions, so I suggest a textbook, which will explain far better and in greater detail than anyone here can.

5. Aug 13, 2009 #4
    [tex]I[/tex] is exchange interaction.

[tex]
    I(\vec{n}-\vec{m})=I(|\vec{n}-\vec{m}|)
    [/tex]

Sometimes [tex]I[/tex] depends only of absolyte value of argument. This is physical reasons and do not have any relationship with Fourier transform in general. [tex]I[/tex] is sometimes tensor [tex]I^{\beta}_{\alpha}[/tex].

In physics is not always the same think to work with

[tex]
    I(\vec{n}-\vec{m})=\frac{1}{N}\sum_{\vec{k}}I(\vec{k})e^{i\v ec{k}(\vec{n}-\vec{m})}
    [/tex]

or with

[tex]
    I(\vec{n}-\vec{m})=\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}\sum_{\vec{k}}I(\vec{k} )e^{i\vec{k}(\vec{n}-\vec{m})}
    [/tex]

I just whant to know when is better to do with first or with second relation?

Thanks

6. Aug 15, 2009 #5
    It does not matter which convention you use, as long as you use the appropriate inverse transformation. If you include the square root, you should also include it in the inverse transformation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook