1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exchange matrix and positive definiteness

1. Aug 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let E be the exchange matrix (ones on the anti-diagonal, zeroes elsewhere). Suppose A is symmetric and positive definite. Show that B = EAE is positive definite.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried showing directly that for any conformable vector h, h'Bh > 0 whenever h'Ah > 0. This looks like a dead end. I suspect the easiest way to get the result is to show all the eigenvalues of B are positive, using the fact that all the eigenvalues of A are positive. However, I don't know how to show this.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a good idea. Suppose k is an eigenvalue of B. Then EAEx=kx for some nonzero x. What happens if you multiply both sides by E?

Also note that for this to be a valid proof, you have to first show that B is symmetric, but this is trivial.
  4. Aug 29, 2008 #3
    Beautiful. Thanks for your help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?