Excitation of wispering gallery mode in resonator

  • Thread starter Thread starter yefj
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
yefj
Messages
158
Reaction score
2
Hello,I have built a resonator which needs to produce whispering gallery mode and coupled threw coaxial cables .
I got a mode at 9.87z and at 11.29Ghz.
But its coupling is very low .
How can I increase the coupling to this mode?
Thanks.
2025-05-21 12-38-37.mkv
1747821433599.webp

1747821400896.webp

1747821355069.webp

1747822129345.webp

1747822176811.webp
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
yefj said:
But its coupling is very low .
How can I increase the coupling to this mode?
I assume you are referring to coupling of the input cable, and output cable, to the cavity. Better coupling may reduce the Q of the cavity.

You show the shield entering into the cavity with only a small probe exposed. How did you select those dimensions?

I would consider removing the shield and connecting the tip of the probe to the wall. That would form a small coupling loop antenna.
 
Hello,Could you please draw what you mean in general?
How down it helpes with achieving good coupling?
 
yefj said:
Hello,Could you please draw what you mean in general?
Cavity-excitation-using-a-loop-coupling-b-electric-probe-coupling-and-c-aperture.webp

(a) If you use a loop, you are coupling with the magnetic field.
(b) If you use a probe, you are coupling with an electric field.
yefj said:
How down it helpes with achieving good coupling?
Higher currents can be induced in the cavity walls. Depending on the orientation of the loop, you can excite different modes of resonance.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sophiecentaur
Baluncore said:
Better coupling may reduce the Q of the cavity.
Ain't that always the way? Good coupling implies a matched load which will produce a low Q. A high Q system must only pass a small amount of power. It's horses for courses I would say.
yefj said:
How can I increase the coupling to this mode?
Do you mean to minimise insertion loss? That would imply matching the source and load. There are a lot of variables, I think.