Excitons bound to neutral impurities

• Thread starter mendes
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi all,

I would like to understand the mechanism by which a neutral impurity can bind an exciton. Because the impurity is neutral the attracation can not be simply electrostatic. I know that there must be a "neutralising electyron (or hole)" in the machanism but things are not clear enough for me.

Answers and Replies

Cthugha
Science Advisor
In some cases you can imagine the impurity as having a short range potential which can trap one of the carriers and the resulting charged complex then has a long range potential that will trap the other carrier.

More generally speaking the situation is analogous to a hydrogen molecule. Only the masses of the constituents differ. This similarity has been pointed out in Murray A. Lampert, "Mobile and Immobile Effective-Mass-Particle Complexes in Nonmetallic Solids", Phys. Rev. Lett. 1, 450–453 (1958).

The exact ratio of the effective masses of the electrons and holes in a certain material define the details. An estimate on whether such complexes are stable or not is given by Hayne's rule. See J. R. Haynes, "Experimental Proof of the Existence of a New Electronic Complex in Silicon", Phys. Rev. Lett. 4, 361–363 (1960). Check the footnote on his personal communication with Kohn.