Exercises for Feyman Lectures on Physics

In summary, an effective target area, also known as a cross-section in scattering theory, refers to the thickness of the layer of gas through which a beam passes. The assumption is that any scattered particle is lost from the beam, and the number/volume of Argon in the chamber is needed to determine the volume of one molecule of Argon. In a similar problem, if a window with an area of 1mx1m is festooned with 100 round black dots and the total light streaming through diminishes by 5%, the area of a black dot would be 0.05m2.
new90
Homework Statement
1.10 the intensity of a collimated,parrallel beam of potassium atoms is reduced 3.0% bya layer of argon gas 1.0mm thick at a pressure of 6.0x10e4(e=exponent)mmHg.
Calculate the effective target area A per argon atom
Whats a effective target area?
Relevant Equations
no equations
Whats a effective target area?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also known as cross-section in scattering theory. Look it up and ask questions as needed.

Likes new90
thanks

another question, the 1mm layer is the depth or the diameter I am really confuse in that

That is the thickness of the layer of gas through which the beam passes. Do you think it matters? Why (or not)?

I think is important because if the layer of argon doesn't exist the intensity the beam throws the particles will be greater

and if the layer is thicker the velocity of the particle will be less than in the original problem

The assumption here is that any particle in the beam that is scattered is lost from the beam. The ones that get through do not hit anything.
Are there more questions that follow this set up (I am assuming yes}?

so,with the layer of argon, 3% of the particle don't get through the beam.Im correct?
(Sorry from the bad grammar I am good at it)

Yes. So we assume they are sparse enough that they don't "shadow" each other (3% is a small number so that's OK). We need the number/volume of Argon in the chamber. Do you see why?

number =argon ifthis is corect i see why number of molecules/by the volume
because do that you find the volume of 1 molecule of argon atom
Im correct?

Last edited:
Here's a similar problem. I have a window 1mx1m. I festoon it with 100 round black dots and notice that the total light streaming through diminishes by 5%. How big (area) is a black dot?

the total dots should cover 5%of the window so if 100% =100m2 that means that the total area of the dots are 5m2 and is one dot = 0.05m2?

i finish the problem,THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH

Likes hutchphd

1. What is the purpose of exercises in Feynman Lectures on Physics?

The exercises in Feynman Lectures on Physics are designed to test and reinforce the understanding of key concepts and principles covered in the lectures. They also serve as a way for students to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

2. Are the exercises in Feynman Lectures on Physics difficult?

The difficulty level of the exercises can vary, but they are generally challenging and require a solid understanding of the lecture material. However, they are also designed to be accessible and manageable for students with a strong foundation in physics.

3. Can the exercises in Feynman Lectures on Physics be solved without prior knowledge of physics?

No, the exercises in Feynman Lectures on Physics are meant to be used as a supplement to the lectures, which assume a basic understanding of physics. Prior knowledge of fundamental concepts such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics is necessary to successfully solve the exercises.

4. Are there solutions available for the exercises in Feynman Lectures on Physics?

Yes, solutions for the exercises are available in the accompanying textbook "Exercises for The Feynman Lectures on Physics." However, it is recommended to first attempt the exercises on your own before consulting the solutions.

5. How can I use the exercises in Feynman Lectures on Physics to improve my understanding of physics?

The exercises in Feynman Lectures on Physics can be used as a tool to deepen your understanding of physics by applying the concepts and principles learned in the lectures. It is important to carefully read and understand the questions, and to actively work through the problems to develop problem-solving skills.