Existance of a matrix that satisfies a condition

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a matrix C such that AC=I, where A is a 3x2 matrix and I is the 3x3 identity matrix. The participants note that if such a matrix C exists, it must be a 2x3 matrix and the inverse of A. However, as A is not a square matrix, it does not have an inverse, and therefore C cannot exist. One participant suggests solving the system of equations to find a possible solution, but it is ultimately concluded that the system has no solution. The conversation also briefly touches on the concept of linear combinations in solving this problem.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A=(2 3, 1 2, 2 5) where the coma separates the rows of the matrix.
Does there exist a matric C such that AC=I? Where I is the 3x3 identity matrix.
2. The attempt at a solution
No. First I note that if it exists then C is a 2x3 matrix. I also note that if AC=I, then C is the inverse of A. But as A is not a square matrix, it doesn't have an inverse, so C cannot exist.
Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not exactly.
2 3
1 2
2 5
C should be 2x3, i.e of the form:
a b c
d e f

so you need to solve the system of equations:
2a+3d=1
2b+3e=0
2c+3f=0
2a+3d=0
b+2c=1
c+2f=0
2a+5d=0
2b+5e=0
2c+5f=1

I don't know if the answer is affirmative or not, you need to solve these equations, in general it's possible that even a non square matrix will have a right reciprocal or left one, and both of them need not be the same necessarily.

You could also note that your product looks like column(v1,v2,v3)*row(w1,w2,w3) where the v's (rows) and w's (columns) are 2-vectors. You know one of the v's can be written as a linear combination of the other two, say v3=a*v1+b*v2. You want v3.w3=1. What do other matrix entries in the product AC tell you about v1.w3 and v2.w3?

Last edited:
Ok I think I know where I made an error, it was there :" I also note that if AC=I, then C is the inverse of A."
I'm not really used to linear combinations so I don't get all what you said Dick, but very soon I'll be in it.
Doing the method of loop quantum gravity, I realized from the beggining that the system has no solution.
Thanks both for your help.

1. What is a matrix that satisfies a condition?

A matrix that satisfies a condition means that the elements in the matrix meet a specific requirement or criteria. This can be in terms of the values, dimensions, or structure of the matrix.

2. Can a matrix satisfy more than one condition?

Yes, a matrix can satisfy multiple conditions. For example, a matrix can have both the same number of rows and columns, and also have all positive values.

3. How do you determine if a matrix satisfies a condition?

To determine if a matrix satisfies a condition, you must first identify the specific condition or requirement. Then, you can check if the elements in the matrix meet that condition by performing calculations or comparisons.

4. Are there specific types of conditions that a matrix can satisfy?

Yes, there are various types of conditions that a matrix can satisfy, such as being symmetric, diagonal, or orthogonal. These conditions have specific characteristics and properties that can be tested.

5. Why is it important to find a matrix that satisfies a condition?

Finding a matrix that satisfies a condition can be important in many applications, such as in solving systems of equations, performing transformations, or analyzing data. It can also provide insights into the properties and behavior of matrices.