1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Existance of a matrix that satisfies a condition

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A=(2 3, 1 2, 2 5) where the coma separates the rows of the matrix.
    Does there exist a matric C such that AC=I? Where I is the 3x3 identity matrix.
    2. The attempt at a solution
    No. First I note that if it exists then C is a 2x3 matrix. I also note that if AC=I, then C is the inverse of A. But as A is not a square matrix, it doesn't have an inverse, so C cannot exist.
    Am I right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2
    Not exactly.
    2 3
    1 2
    2 5
    C should be 2x3, i.e of the form:
    a b c
    d e f

so you need to solve the system of equations:
    2a+3d=1
    2b+3e=0
    2c+3f=0
    2a+3d=0
    b+2c=1
    c+2f=0
    2a+5d=0
    2b+5e=0
    2c+5f=1

I don't know if the answer is affirmative or not, you need to solve these equations, in general it's possible that even a non square matrix will have a right reciprocal or left one, and both of them need not be the same necessarily.

4. Jan 20, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could also note that your product looks like column(v1,v2,v3)*row(w1,w2,w3) where the v's (rows) and w's (columns) are 2-vectors. You know one of the v's can be written as a linear combination of the other two, say v3=a*v1+b*v2. You want v3.w3=1. What do other matrix entries in the product AC tell you about v1.w3 and v2.w3?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  5. Jan 20, 2009 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok I think I know where I made an error, it was there :" I also note that if AC=I, then C is the inverse of A."
    I'm not really used to linear combinations so I don't get all what you said Dick, but very soon I'll be in it.
    Doing the method of loop quantum gravity, I realized from the beggining that the system has no solution.
    Thanks both for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?