Exp(i k.r) ~ A travelling wave ?

• Thread starter mtrl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the author is discussing how the wavefunction of a free electron in a solid can be described by the exponential function. The wavefunction has a time coordinate, but it's not always included in the equation. The author also talks about how the wavefunction can be a traveling wave.
mtrl
exp(i k.r) ~ A traveling wave ??

I am studying electrons in solids and the wavefunctions of free electrons, which have the form exp(i k.r), are said to be representing traveling waves. Isn't there supposed to be a term involving time in the exponential such as exp (i (k.r -wt)) so that it is a traveling wave?
If exp(i k.r) does not represent a standing wave, then what represents a standing wave?

Physics news on Phys.org

r = r(x, y, z, t)

There is a further explanation in the book which i think makes r=r(x,y,z,t) an invalid answer.

The book says that exp(+i k.r) and exp(-i k.r) are traveling waves. And a superposition of these two functions, exp(+i k.r) + exp(-i k.r) = 2 cos(k.r) is a standing wave. If r=r(x,y,z,t), then the superposition is a traveling wave too, isn't it?

mtrl said:
I am studying electrons in solids and the wavefunctions of free electrons, which have the form exp(i k.r), are said to be representing traveling waves. Isn't there supposed to be a term involving time in the exponential such as exp (i (k.r -wt)) so that it is a traveling wave?
If exp(i k.r) does not represent a standing wave, then what represents a standing wave?

As a general observation, in some books the time factor is left out for convenience but the complete form is assumed to be as you show above.

In quantum mechanics, if you plug in the complete (time included) solution in Schrodinger equation, the temporal part can be separated and then you only look at the time independent Schrodinger equation. The solutions of this last one have only position dependence but in the end you should (if necessary) add the time factor.

Thank you nasu. I have understood it now.
The book on solid state physics by Kittel is really driving me mad. There are almost no explanations during formula derivations and lots of steps are omitted.

nasu's answer is better. Indeed, r usually doesn't include the time coordinate. My answer needs an unconventional definition for r.

mtrl said:
Thank you nasu. I have understood it now.
The book on solid state physics by Kittel is really driving me mad. There are almost no explanations during formula derivations and lots of steps are omitted.

I agree with you. It's a good reference if you already know the stuff but not the best introduction.

1. What is the meaning of "Exp(i k.r) ~ A travelling wave"?

"Exp(i k.r) ~ A travelling wave" is an equation that describes the behavior of a wave that travels through space. The term "Exp(i k.r)" represents the amplitude and phase of the wave, while "A" is the overall magnitude or intensity of the wave. The wave travels in the direction of the vector "r" and has a wave vector "k" that determines its wavelength and direction of propagation.

2. How is "Exp(i k.r) ~ A travelling wave" different from other wave equations?

"Exp(i k.r) ~ A travelling wave" is different from other wave equations in that it represents a complex-valued wave. This means that it takes into account both the amplitude and phase of the wave, whereas other equations may only consider one or the other. It also describes a wave that travels through space, rather than being confined to a specific medium or boundary.

3. What are the applications of "Exp(i k.r) ~ A travelling wave" in science and engineering?

"Exp(i k.r) ~ A travelling wave" has many applications in various fields of science and engineering. It is commonly used in electromagnetics, quantum mechanics, and signal processing to describe the behavior of waves. It is also used in fields such as optics, acoustics, and seismology to analyze and understand the properties of waves.

4. Can "Exp(i k.r) ~ A travelling wave" be used to describe any type of wave?

Yes, "Exp(i k.r) ~ A travelling wave" can be used to describe any type of wave, as long as it follows the basic principles of wave behavior. This includes electromagnetic, mechanical, and quantum waves. However, the specific values of "k" and "r" may vary depending on the type of wave being described.

5. How does "Exp(i k.r) ~ A travelling wave" relate to the concept of superposition?

"Exp(i k.r) ~ A travelling wave" is closely related to the concept of superposition, which states that when two or more waves overlap, the resulting wave is the sum of the individual waves. This is because the equation takes into account the amplitude and phase of the wave, allowing for the combination of multiple waves with different characteristics. This is a fundamental principle in understanding the behavior of waves in various systems and phenomena.