1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expand Then Crunch?

1. May 6, 2003 #1

Labguy

Science Advisor

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2003 #2

LURCH

Science Advisor

An interseting thought. The artical says that according to certain theories of Quantum Gravity, the expansuion of the universe is driven by a scalar feild which will, at some point in the future, become a force of attraction, rather than repulsion. But it offers no further details.

I can't help being reminded of the school of thought in string theory which says that, below a certain critically small size, contraction becomes expansion. I wonder if this is an attempt to apply the opposite side of that same law, saying that above a certain critically large size, expansion becomes contraction.

I also wonder; if we were living in the cosmological phase during which repulsive forces have become forces of attraction, would I be getting lots of dates?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?