Expanding Trig Functions: [(Cos^3)x][(Sin^4)x] in Terms of cos(x) and Its Powers

  • Thread starter Thread starter H0T_S0UP
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
H0T_S0UP
Messages
32
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Express [(Cos^3)x][(Sin^4)x] in terms of cos(x) and its powers:

Homework Equations


All I used was Sin^2+Cos^2=1 but apparently it didn't work! I probably should have used more identities but I don't know.

The Attempt at a Solution


I broke the equation into two sections, the [(Cos^3)x] and then [(Sin^4)x] multiplied them together

For [(Cos^3)x]

cos(x)(1-sin^2 (x))
cos(x)-cos(x)(sin^2 (x))
cos(x)-cos(x)[1-cos^2 (x)]
=
cos^3 (x)

For [(Sin^4)x]

(1-cos^2 (x))(1-cos^2 (x))
1-(cos^2 (x)) - (cos^2 (x)) + (cos^4 (x))
1 - (2cos^2 (x)) + {[1-sin^2 (x)][1-sin^2 (x)]}
1 - (2cos^2 (x)) + 1-(2sin^2 (x)) + (sin^4 (x))
{(sin^4 (x)) - 2(cos^2 (x)) - 2(sin^2 (x)) +2}
And I stop here because the same pattern could go on forever and ever!
Where did I go wrong and can someone please show me the work the review sheet does not have it obviously.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm reading the problem right, you need to reduce the product of cos^3 * sin^4 into just powers of cos? right? Well you are making the problem too hard by trying to do anything with cos^3. It is already a power of cos, so you don't need to do anything with it. This is why you are coming around full circle back to cos^3 on that part. In your solution for sin^4, you have a line that is all cos. Stop there. Don't try to put sin back in after that. All that's left is to mutiply that through by cos^3.
 
Oh wow thanks I can't believe the mistake was that simple. If I did multiply 1-(cos^2 (x)) - (cos^2 (x)) + (cos^4 (x)) by cos^3 (x) I would have gotten:
1-(cos^2 (x)) - (cos^2 (x)) + (cos^4 (x))
cos^3 - 2cos^5 + cos^7 which was the correct answer.
Thanks.