1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expansion of Van der waals for small pressure

1. Oct 22, 2013 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the VDW eqn of state, ##(P + a/v^2)(v-b)=RT## write Pv as a function of {P,T} and by expanding the result in powers of P or otherwise show that the first terms of a Virial expansion in powers of P for a VDW gas are given by $$Pv = RT + \left(b - \frac{a}{RT}\right)P + O(P^2)$$

2. Relevant equations
    Taylor expansion

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have already solved this (I think) via a method belonging in the 'otherwise' category. However, I wish to also solve it via the method outlined. The hint is that we can express y =Pv, x=P and write ##y = y(0,T) + y'(0,T)x + O(x^2)##
    This can be rewritten as $$Pv = Pv(0,T) + \frac{d}{dP} (Pv)|_{P=0}P + O(P^2)$$, so essentially we are expanding the VDW eqn about small pressures. The first term on the RHS I think should be RT, which makes sense, yet I don't see how it comes about from subbing P=0 into VDW. The differentiation of the second term gives $$b - a\frac{d}{dP} \frac{1}{v} + ab\frac{d}{dP} \frac{1}{v^2} = b -a \frac{d}{dv}\frac{1}{v}\frac{dv}{dP} + ab\frac{d}{dv} \frac{1}{v^2} \frac{dv}{dP}$$ but I am not sure how to continue from here.
    Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2013 #2
    Try rewriting the equation as:

[tex]Pv+\frac{a}{v}-Pb-\frac{ab}{v^2}=RT[/tex]

Next, reexpress this as:
    [tex]Pv+\frac{aP}{Pv}-Pb-\frac{abP^2}{(Pv)^2}=RT[/tex]

Now, for convenience, substitute Pv = x:

[tex]x+\frac{aP}{x}-Pb-\frac{abP^2}{x^2}=RT[/tex]

You know that, at P = 0, x = RT

So do your Taylor series expansion about this point. Take the derivative of the equation with respect to P, and then solve for the derivative of x with respect to P. Evaluate this derivative at P=0, x = RT.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted