1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation of Momentum Operator

1. Feb 2, 2006 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I need help getting started on this problem:

A free particle moving in one dimension is in the initial state [itex] \Psi(x,0) [/itex]. Prove that [itex] <\hat{p}> [/itex] is constant in time by direct calculation (i.e. without recourse to the commutator theorem regarding constants of the motion).

Our professor strongly advised against doing it this way:

[tex] <\hat{p}> = \int{\Psi^* \hat{p} \Psi \, dx} [/tex]

instead saying that we should try this:

[tex] <\hat{p}> = \int{p |\phi(k,t)|^2 \, dk} [/tex]

Since we know that:

[tex] \Psi(x,0) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\phi(k)e^{ikx} \, dk} [/tex]

and therefore

[tex] \phi(k) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\Psi(x,0)e^{-ikx} \, dx} [/tex]

Yay Fourier transforms :yuck:

My questions are:

1. Practically speaking, how does one go about expressing phi(k) using this method?

2. Even if I get a reasonable expression for phi(k), what about the time dependence? How do I then get phi(k,t)? I'm going to need that in order to find <p> and show that d<p>/dt = 0.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since the particle is free, then the whole time dependence of the state vector (it's actually a functional) can be factorized and, by virtue of being expressed in terms of a complex exponential, vanishes when you consider this baby

[tex] \langle \Psi (t) |\hat{p}| \Psi (t) \rangle [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?