Total Momentum Operator for Klein Gordon Field

In summary, Peskin & Schroeder use a (+---) metric signature, where the index placement on the derivative operator is such that ##\partial^i = -\partial_i##. This means that the expression for $$P^i$$ in terms of $$T^{0i}$$ has a negative sign. Similarly, in the expression for $$\partial_i\phi$$, the sign of the momentum component is negative. However, Jakob Schwichtenberg in No-Nonsense Quantum Field Theory uses a (-+++), which means that the derivative operator has the usual index placement, and thus there is no negative sign in the expression for $$P^i$$ or $$\partial_i\phi$$.Furthermore, when using the
Samama Fahim
Homework Statement
Prove that $$P^i=\int d^3x T^{0i} = -\int d^3 \pi \partial_i \phi$$
Relevant Equations
$$T_{\nu}^{\mu}=\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu} \phi)}\partial_{\nu}\phi-\delta_{\nu}^{\mu}\mathcal{L}$$
As
$$\hat{P_i} = \int d^3x T^0_i,$$

and

$$T_i^0=\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_0 \phi)}\partial_i\phi-\delta_i^0\mathcal{L}=\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_0 \phi)}\partial_i\phi=\pi\partial_i\phi.$$

Therefore,

$$\hat{P_i} = \int d^3x \pi\partial_i\phi.$$

However, in Peskin & Schroeder it's given with a negative sign:

$$\hat{P^i} = -\int d^3x \pi\partial_i\phi.$$

How do I go from $$T^{0}_i$$ to $$T^{0i}$$?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does Peskin & Schroeder use a (+---) metric signature? In which case ##\partial^i \equiv - \partial_i## and\begin{align*}
P^i &= \int d^3 x T^{0i} = \int d^3 x \frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{0} \phi)}\partial^{i}\phi = \int d^3 x \pi \partial^i \phi = -\int d^3 x \pi \partial_i \phi
\end{align*}

Likes vanhees71, Delta2 and Samama Fahim
ergospherical said:
Does Peskin & Schroeder use a (+---) metric signature? In which case ##\partial^i \equiv - \partial_i## and\begin{align*}
P^i &= \int d^3 x T^{0i} = \int d^3 x \frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{0} \phi)}\partial^{i}\phi = \int d^3 x \pi \partial^i \phi = -\int d^3 x \pi \partial_i \phi
\end{align*}
Yes they do use the signature (+---). Why would $$\partial^i$$ become $$-\partial_i$$ in that case?

Recall that with (+---) then ##\eta = \eta^{-1} = \mathrm{diag}(1,-1,-1,-1)## and\begin{align*}
v^0 = \eta^{0j} v_j = \eta^{00} v_0 = v_0
\end{align*}whilst, for any fixed ##i = 1,2,3##,\begin{align*}
v^i = \eta^{ij} v_j = \eta^{ii} v_i = -v_i
\end{align*}

• Informative
Likes Samama Fahim
ergospherical said:
\end{align*}
Could you please confirm one more thing:

If

$$\phi = \int d^3k \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^3 \sqrt{2\omega_k}} \left(a(\vec{k})e^{-i(\omega_kx_o-\vec{k}\cdot \vec{x})}+a^{\dagger}(\vec{k})e^{i(\omega_kx_0-\vec{k}\cdot \vec{x})}\right).$$

then we should have

$$\partial_i\phi=\int d^3k \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^3 \sqrt{2\omega_k}} \left(a(\vec{k})(ik_i)e^{-i(\omega_kx_o-\vec{k}\cdot \vec{x})}+a^{\dagger}(\vec{k})(-ik_i)e^{i(\omega_kx_0-\vec{k}\cdot \vec{x})}\right).$$

Is that correct?

That looks fine to me.

Likes Samama Fahim
ergospherical said:
That looks fine to me.
But Jakob Schwichtenberg in No-Nonsense Quantum Field Theory, p. 600 writes:

$$\partial_i\phi=\int d^3k \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^3 \sqrt{2\omega_k}} \left(a(\vec{k})(-ik_i)e^{-ikx}+a^{\dagger}(\vec{k})(ik_i)e^{ikx}\right).$$

Here $$kx \equiv k_{\mu}x^{\mu}$$

Apologies, Schwichtenberg's is correct (it's just due to the index placement on ##k##, which I'd overlooked). Remember that ##kx = k_{\mu} x^{\mu} = k_0 x^0 + k_i x^i = k^0 x^0 - k^i x^i##, so that ##\partial_i(kx) = k_i = - k^i##.

• Informative
Likes Samama Fahim
ergospherical said:
Apologies, Schwichtenberg's is correct (it's just due to the index placement on ##k##, which I'd overlooked). Remember that ##kx = k_{\mu} x^{\mu} = k_0 x^0 + k_i x^i = k^0 x^0 - k^i x^i##, so that ##\partial_i(kx) = k_i = - k^i##.
Actually on p. 58, Schwichtenberg defines $$p_{\mu}p^{\mu}$$ to be $$p_0p_0-\vec{p} \cdot \vec{p}$$. And he also uses the metric signature $$(1,-1,-1,-1)$$ and not $$p_0p_0+\vec{p} \cdot \vec{p}$$

That's correct, yes. By ##\mathbf{k} \cdot \mathbf{x}## one means ##k^i x^i##.

Likes Samama Fahim
ergospherical said:
That's correct, yes. By ##\mathbf{k} \cdot \mathbf{x}## one means ##k^i x^i##.
##\vec{k} \cdot \vec{x} = k_ix_i##, is that true also?

Samama Fahim said:
##\vec{k} \cdot \vec{x} = k_ix_i##, is that true also?
It would be, yes, simply because ##k^i x^i = (-k_i)(-x_i) = k_i x_i##.
But be careful to note that the symbol ##\partial_i \equiv \partial / \partial x^i## refers to differentiation w.r.t. ##x^i##, not ##x_i##.

It all works out, but you have to be careful not to trip up on signs anywhere!

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and Samama Fahim
Thank you so much for all the responses.

But on p. 311, Schwichtenberg writes $$kx \equiv k_0x_0-k_ix_i$$ and goes on to take the derivative $$\partial_0 e^{ik_0x_0} = ik_0 e^{ik_0x_0} $$

It's still fine, because ##k_0 = k^0## and ##x_0 = x^0##. When using (+---), i.e. when ##\eta_{00} = 1##, you can raise/lower a ##0## index without having to change the sign.

Likes Samama Fahim
Four-divergence is

$$\partial_{\mu}K^{\mu}=\partial_0K^0+\partial_iK^i.$$

However, on p. 160 Schwichtenberg writes

$$0=\partial_{\mu}T^{\mu}_0$$
$$=\partial_0T^0_0-\partial_iT^i_0.$$

Why the minus sign? Here T denotes momentum-energy tensor.

That does look like a blunder, though it doesn't change the argument much.\begin{align*}
\partial_{\mu} T^{\mu}_0 = \partial_0 T^0_0 + \partial_i T^i_0 &= 0 \\ \\

\implies \int_V d^3 x \partial_0 T^0_0 &= -\int_V d^3 x\partial_i T^i_0 \\

\implies \int_{V} d^3 x \partial_0 T^0_0 &= -\int_{\partial V} d^2 S_i T^i_0 = 0

\end{align*}so that ##\dfrac{d}{dx_0} \displaystyle{\int_{V} d^3 x T^0_0} = 0##.

Likes Samama Fahim

1. What is the Total Momentum Operator for Klein Gordon Field?

The Total Momentum Operator for Klein Gordon Field is a mathematical operator used in quantum field theory to describe the total momentum of a system of particles described by the Klein Gordon equation. It is represented by the symbol P.

2. How is the Total Momentum Operator for Klein Gordon Field calculated?

The Total Momentum Operator for Klein Gordon Field is calculated by taking the integral of the momentum density operator over all space. This integral is then used to calculate the total momentum of the system.

3. What is the physical significance of the Total Momentum Operator for Klein Gordon Field?

The Total Momentum Operator for Klein Gordon Field is a fundamental quantity in quantum field theory that represents the total momentum of a system of particles. It is used to calculate the dynamics and behavior of particles in a quantum field.

4. How does the Total Momentum Operator for Klein Gordon Field relate to conservation of momentum?

The Total Momentum Operator for Klein Gordon Field is related to conservation of momentum through the Noether's theorem, which states that for every continuous symmetry of a physical system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity. In this case, the symmetry of translational invariance leads to the conservation of total momentum.

5. Can the Total Momentum Operator for Klein Gordon Field be used for any type of particle?

Yes, the Total Momentum Operator for Klein Gordon Field can be used for any type of particle that is described by the Klein Gordon equation, including both massive and massless particles. It is a universal operator that applies to all particles in a quantum field.