1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation value for a position measurement

1. Dec 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the wave function psi(x,0) = 3/5 sqrt(2/L) sin(xpi/L) + 4/5 sqrt(2/L) sin(5xpi/L) in an infinite potential well from 0 to L, what is the expectation value <x> and rms spread delta E = sqrt(<E^2>-<E>^2)

2. Relevant equations
    <x> = integral from 0 to L of psi*xpsi dx

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the expectation value <E> is just 3/5 E1 + 4/5 E2, however I'm not sure how to find the rms spread of it without cumbersome algebra. And the same with <x>.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, SkyChaser.

Your answer for <E> is not correct. Think about what you need to do to the coefficients 3/5 and 4/5 to get the probabilities.

The algebra for the rms spread of E will be less cumbersome if you express E2 as a multiple of E1 and then express <E> and <E2> in terms of just E1.

4. Dec 19, 2013 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I'm confused. Your title says "position measurement" but you refer to both x and E. To clarify, which one do you want: <x> or <E>? Δx or ΔE?

5. Dec 19, 2013 #4
    Both. And yeah, it should be 9/25 E1 + 16/25 E2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted