Expectation value in unpertubed basis

In summary: You could multiply by any two vectors that are linearly independent in the linear space spanned by the spin½ coordinates.
aaaa202
I have a question regarding an exercise I am doing. It is an electron confined to move on a cylinder and I am asked to:
"Find the expectation value of Ly and Lz" in the unperturbed basis. I am just not sure what is meant by the expectation value in a basis? I know what the expectation value is if you give me some wave function at time t. Then <operator> is just:
<operator> = <ψloperatorlψ>

But what on Earth is an "expectation value in a basis"? It is probably something pretty straightforward like the expectation value for the nth eigenfunction, but I just want to be sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is just asking you to calculate that expectation value while working in the basis of eigenstates of the unperturbed Hamiltonian. In other words, you might express the state as a linear combination of the eigenstates so that it's easy to calculate what the operator acting on that state gives.

Well all I am given is the eigenstates of the unpertubed Hamiltonian, so should I just write e.g.
<Lz>=<ψlLzlψ>
as my answer? hmm nah probably not.
I am not given any initial wave function. All I have is the wave functions, and then I am asked to find the expectation value of Lz and Ly in the unpertubed basis. So which initial wave function do I take?

Good question. It doesn't really make sense to ask for the expectation value without specifying a state. Perhaps your professor wants you to find the expectation value of the operators for each eigenstate. I'd ask him or her for clarification.

well the actual question is show that the expectation values are zero in the unpertubed basis. So I guess a good idea would be to show it is zero for each eigenstate.

Yeah, I was thinking it was something like that.

okay great. Next question actually bothers me a bit too.

So I found the eigenfunctions of my hamiltonian to be degenerate (2 for each energy level). Now including spin of the electron in the problem I must show that there are four degenerate eigenvectors for each energy level.
Is this just done by multiplying by either a spin up or down state? Or could we multiply by any two linear independent vectors that span the space of spin½? - after all the hamiltonian only acts on the spatial part of the wave function right?

If there's no spin-dependent part of the Hamiltonian, then yes.

1. What is the definition of expectation value in unperturbed basis?

The expectation value in unperturbed basis is a statistical quantity that represents the average value of a physical quantity in a particular state or system. It is calculated by taking the integral of the physical quantity over the probability distribution of the state or system.

2. How is expectation value in unperturbed basis related to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the expectation value in unperturbed basis is used to determine the most likely outcome of a measurement on a quantum system. It is also used to calculate the average energy of a system in a particular state.

3. What is the significance of the unperturbed basis in expectation value calculations?

The unperturbed basis is a set of basis states that are not affected by external influences or perturbations. This allows for more accurate and reliable calculations of the expectation value, as it eliminates the potential for interference from external factors.

4. Can the expectation value in unperturbed basis be measured experimentally?

Yes, the expectation value in unperturbed basis can be measured experimentally by performing repeated measurements on a quantum system and taking the average of the results. However, due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, the actual measured value may not always match the theoretical expectation value.

5. How does the expectation value in unperturbed basis change with the introduction of perturbations?

When perturbations are introduced, the expectation value in unperturbed basis may change depending on the strength and nature of the perturbation. In some cases, the perturbation may cause the expectation value to shift significantly, while in others it may have little to no effect.