Expectation value of energy in infinite well

In summary, the question asks for the expectation value of the energy of a particle in a well with potential V(x)=0 for 0<x<a, using the given normalised time-independent wave function ψ( x ) = √(1/a) ( 1+2cos(∏x/a) )sin(∏x/a). The solution involves rearranging the equation and calculating the integral of ψ H ψ, resulting in <E> = 1/2 ( E(1) + E(2) ). Both methods and answers are correct.
dyn

Homework Statement

Given the following normalised time-independent wave function the question asks for the expectation value of the energy of the particle. The well has V(x)=0 for 0<x<a

Homework Equations

ψ( x ) = √(1/a) ( 1+2cos(∏x/a) )sin(∏x/a)

The Attempt at a Solution

I disagree with the given answer but we both start off the same way. We rearrange the equation as
ψ ( x ) = √(1/a) ( sin(∏x/a) + sin(2∏x/a) )

The given solution then performs then calculates <E> = ∫ ψ H ψ to arrive at <E> = E(1) + E(2).

I wrote ψ down as the superposition of the wavefunction √(2/a) sin (n∏x/a) which means ψ(1) and ψ(2) both have a coefficient of 1/(√2) in front of them. I then squared this coefficient and multiplied by E(1) +E(2) to get <E> = 1/2 ( E(1) + E(2) )

Is my method ok ? and is my answer correct ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes your method and answer are correct. :smile:

<E> = ∫ ψ H ψ = 1/2 ( E(1) + E(2) )

1. What is the expectation value of energy in an infinite well?

The expectation value of energy in an infinite well is the average energy of a particle confined to a one-dimensional space with infinite potential barriers on either side. It is a measure of the most probable energy value for the particle in the well.

2. How is the expectation value of energy calculated?

The expectation value of energy in an infinite well is calculated by taking the integral of the Hamiltonian operator (H) over the wave function squared (|Ψ|²) and dividing it by the integral of the wave function squared over the entire well. This can be written as Eavg = ∫H|Ψ|²dx / ∫|Ψ|²dx.

3. What is the significance of the expectation value of energy in an infinite well?

The expectation value of energy in an infinite well is significant because it gives insight into the behavior of particles in confined spaces. It is also a key concept in quantum mechanics and helps to determine the energy levels of a particle in a potential well.

4. How does the expectation value of energy change with different wave functions?

The expectation value of energy in an infinite well will change with different wave functions because the wave function affects the probability of finding the particle in a certain energy state. A higher probability for a certain energy state will result in a higher expectation value for that energy.

5. Can the expectation value of energy ever be negative?

No, the expectation value of energy in an infinite well cannot be negative. This is because the wave function squared, which is always positive, is included in the calculation and will not produce a negative result.