Find Vector Representation of |ψi> in |ei> basis

• Thread starter jasonchiang97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm Vectors
In summary: Here's how to interpret this. Each component of the bra vector on the right acts as a projector on the corresponding ket basis vector on the left. So if you apply the whole bra vector to a ket vector you get a superposition of the corresponding basis vectors weighted by the components of the bra vector. So if you apply the whole bra vector to a ket vector you get a superposition of the corresponding basis vectors weighted by the components of the bra vector. In summary, the question asks for the column-vector and row-vector representations of a given ket in a given basis. To find
jasonchiang97

Homework Statement

Consider the following ket: |ψi> = c1|e1> + c2|e2>, where ci are some complex coefficients. Find the column-vector representation of |ψi> in the |ei> basis. Find the row-vector representation of <ψ| in the <ei| basis.

Homework Equations

i> = c1|e1> + c2|e2>

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I'm not sure what to do so I tried to start off by solving c1 and c2. To do this I multiplied |ψi> = c1|e1> + c2|e2> by <e1| to get that c1 = <e1|ψ> . Multiplying the same equation by <e2| gives c2 = <e2|ψ>

So I wrote |ψ> = <e1|ψ|e1> + <e2|ψ|e2>

Now I'm not sure what to do

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The question asks for you to write it as column and row vectors, i.e.,
$$
\begin{pmatrix} a \\ b \end{pmatrix}
$$
and ##(\alpha, \beta)##.

I'll give you the answer for the first part, since you are almost there and there is no fundamental principle here, just a convention. Basically, you simply need to arrange your ##c_i## in a vector, so for ##|\psi_i\rangle##, you get the representation
$$
|\psi_i\rangle \doteq \begin{pmatrix} \langle e_1 | \psi_i \rangle \\ \langle e_2 | \psi_i \rangle \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} c_1 \\ c_2 \end{pmatrix}
$$
(with ##\doteq## meaning "is represented by," as the representation is not unique and will depend on the basis used and the order of the base states in that basis).

I'll let you figure out what the answer looks like for a bra.

Wouldn't the bra just be

(c1 c2) as you can just take the transpose of the matrix?

jasonchiang97 said:
Wouldn't the bra just be

(c1 c2) as you can just take the transpose of the matrix?
Not exactly. The bra is not equivalent to the transpose of the ket, but to its Hermitian transpose.

Ah I see. Thanks!

jasonchiang97 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the following ket: |ψi> = c1|e1> + c2|e2>, where ci are some complex coefficients. Find the column-vector representation of |ψi> in the |ei> basis. Find the row-vector representation of <ψ| in the <ei| basis.

Homework Equations

i> = c1|e1> + c2|e2>

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I'm not sure what to do so I tried to start off by solving c1 and c2. To do this I multiplied |ψi> = c1|e1> + c2|e2> by <e1| to get that c1 = <e1|ψ> . Multiplying the same equation by <e2| gives c2 = <e2|ψ>

So I wrote |ψ> = <e1|ψ|e1> + <e2|ψ|e2>

Now I'm not sure what to do
Watch out, the last expression you wrote is nonsensical because you have a ket on the left and a number on the right. You really meant
|ψ> = <e1|ψ> |e1> + <e2|ψ> |e2>

Likes DrClaude

What is the "Find Vector Representation" process?

The "Find Vector Representation" process is a method used in quantum mechanics to represent a vector, |ψi>, in a different basis, |ei>. This is commonly used to transform a vector from a given basis to a more convenient basis for calculations or analysis.

Why is the "Find Vector Representation" process important?

The "Find Vector Representation" process is important because it allows us to express the same vector, |ψi>, in different bases, making it easier to analyze and manipulate in different contexts. This process is particularly useful in quantum mechanics, where vectors often need to be transformed into different bases for calculations.

How do you find the vector representation of |ψi> in |ei> basis?

To find the vector representation of |ψi> in |ei> basis, you need to find the coefficients of |ei> that, when multiplied by their respective basis vectors, will sum up to |ψi>. This can be done by using the inner product, also known as the dot product, between |ψi> and each |ei> basis vector.

What is the difference between a vector and a basis vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction, whereas a basis vector is a vector that forms the basis of a vector space. Basis vectors are used to represent other vectors in the vector space by finding their coefficients in terms of the basis vectors.

Can any vector be represented in any basis?

Yes, any vector can be represented in any basis. This is because the coefficients of the basis vectors can always be found by using the inner product, regardless of the basis being used. However, some bases may be more convenient than others for a particular vector and its application, which is why the "Find Vector Representation" process is useful.