Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation value of two annihilation operators

1. May 16, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I was studying about the effect of a beam splitter in a text on quantum optics. I understand that if a and b represent the mode operators for the two beams incident on the splitter, then the operator for one of the outgoing beams is the following,
    [tex] c = \frac{(a + ib)}{\sqrt{2}} [/tex]​

Now if I try to measure the intensity of this beam by a photodiode, the intensity will be proportional to-

[tex]<c^{\dag} c>[/tex]

On evaluating this, I get,
    [tex]\frac{\left(<a^{\dag} a> + <b^{\dag} b> + i(<a^{\dag} b> - <b^{\dag} a>)\right)}{2} [/tex]
    Now the book says, that this can be written as,
    [tex]\frac{\left(<a^{\dag} a> + <b^{\dag} b> + i(<a^{\dag}><b> - <b^{\dag}><a>)\right)}{2} [/tex]

I am unable to understand this step, that is [tex]<a^{\dag} b> = <a^{\dag}><b>[/tex]
    can someone please explain this.
    I understand that these mode operators commute, but is this always true for any two commuting operators.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

if you write what [itex] < a^{\dagger} \, b > [/itex] is, then I am sure that you can figure it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook