1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected value and variance of a conditional pdf (I think I have it)

1. Nov 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose the distribution of X2 conditional on X1=x1 is N(x1,x12), and that the marginal distribution of X1 is U(0,1). Find the mean and variance of X2.

2. Relevant equations
    Theorem: [tex]E(X_{2})=E_{1}(E_{2|1}(X_{2}|X_{1}))[/tex]
    [tex]Var(X_{2})=V_{1}(E_{2|1}(X_{2}|X_{1}))+E_{1}(V_{2|1}(X_{2}|X_{1}))[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I understand the above right, which I'm not sure I do, in words, the first part says that the expected value of X2 is going to be the expected value of the conditional function. Here, the expected value of X2|X1 is X1, itself a random variable, and the expected value of that is 1/2 (just the expected value of the marginal uniform distribution.
    The second part, a little trickier for me, is the same idea, I'm finding the variance of the random variable X1 (which is the expected value of the conditional distribution X2, and that is 1/12. Then I add that to the expected value of the variance of the conditional distribution. That variable is X1^2, which is equal to the variance of X1 plus the mean of X1 squared.
    Am I understanding this right?

Long story short, E(X2)=1/2, Var(X2)= 5/12 (this part is 1/12 + 1/12 + (1/2)^2

Sorry, I hope this is readable.b]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

5/12 looks right to me.

4. Nov 4, 2012 #3
    Awesome, thanks. This concept took me a little while to get, but I think I got it. It's not very hard, but my book is kind of vague.

5. Nov 5, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To understand the above, just think of X1 as discrete (and X2 may be discrete, continuous or mixed). Then
    [tex] E\,X_2 = \sum_{x_1} P\{ X_1 = x_1 \} \, E(X_2 |X_1 = x_1), \\
    E\,X_2^2 = \sum_{x_1} P\{ X_1 = x_1 \} \, E(X_2^2 |X_1 = x_1),\\
    \text{Var}(X_2) = E\,X_2^2 - (E\, X_2)^2.[/tex]
    When X1 is continuous, just replace a sum by an integral, etc.

In your case X2|X1=x1 ~ N(x1,x1^2) and X1~U(0,1), so
    [tex] E\,X_2 = \int_0^1 x_1 \, dx_1 = 1/2,[/tex] as you said, and
    [tex] E(X_2^2 |X_1 = x_1) = \text{Var}(X_2|X_1=x_1) + (E(X_2|X_1=x_1))^2 =
    2 x_1^2,\\
    \Longrightarrow \text{Var}(X_2) = \int_0^1 2x_1^2 \, dx_1 - (1/2)^2 = 5/12,[/tex]
    as you also stated. Personally, I prefer this last way of getting the variance, as opposed to using the formulas you gave. However, either way works if you are careful.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook