Variance of a point chosen at random on the circumference of a circle

Master1022
Homework Statement:
Let us randomly generate points ##(x,y)## on the circumference of a circle (two dimensions).
(a) What is Var(x)?
(b) What if you randomly generate points on the surface of a sphere instead?
Relevant Equations:
Variance
Hi,

I was looking at this problem and just having a go at it.

Question:
Let us randomly generate points ##(x,y)## on the circumference of a circle (two dimensions).
(a) What is ##\text{Var}(x)##?
(b) What if you randomly generate points on the surface of a sphere instead?

Attempt:
In terms of understanding the question, I think I have to understand whether we pick ##X## or are picking ##\theta##. In my mind, if we are picking ##X## from a uniform distribution, then the variance will just be ## \frac{(b - a)^2}{12} = \frac{r^2}{3} ##, which isn't particularly difficult (so I don't think it would justify being asked in an interview). Also, I feel like then the choice of ##Y## isn't random as it is restricted to two points for a given choice of ##X##. Therefore, to ensure that the point picked is truly random, it made more sense to me (perhaps I am wrong) to pick a ##\theta## measured from axis and then ## x = r cos(\theta) ## and ## y = r sin(\theta) ##.

Proceeding with the ##\theta## argument: ## \theta## will be from a uniform distribution between ##0## and ##2\pi ## with probability ## \frac{1}{2\pi} ##. Then we would need to transform the distribution of ## \theta ## to the distribution for ## X ##

[tex] X = r cos(\theta) \rightarrow p(x) dx = p(\theta) d\theta \rightarrow p(x) = p(\theta) |\frac{d\theta}{dx}| [/tex]
[tex] p(x) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \cdot \frac{1}{|\frac{dx}{d\theta}|} = \frac{1}{2\pi} \cdot \frac{1}{r sin(\theta)} = \frac{1}{2\pi} \cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}} [/tex]

and then proceed with some integration to find ##Var(X)##... However, I feel like there ought to be a more elegant method of reaching the solution?

Would appreciate any advice/tips outlining where I have gone astray. Thanks in advance.

[EDIT]: changed the pdf of ##\theta## to ##\frac{1}{2\pi}## as it should be. Apologies.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
What about considering ##E(x^2 + y^2)##?

Master1022
What about considering ##E(x^2 + y^2)##?
Thanks @PeroK ! I hadn't considered this at all. Would we hope to exploit a symmetry between ##x## and ##y## with this method?

The reason I ask is because I am thinking along these lines - although I really ought to give this more thought:
[tex] E(x^2 + y^2) = E(r^2) = r^2 [/tex]

Then, this is where my hand-waiving starts and I can't yet fully convince myself of the mathematics. If we assume ##x^2## and ##y^2## are independent (not sure how fair this is), then:
[tex] E(x^2 + y^2) = E(x^2) + E(y^2) = r^2 [/tex]
Then, if we exploit a symmetry between ##x## and ##y##, then we can let (again, very hand wavy) ##E(x^2) = E(y^2) ##. This doesn't feel right.

Nonetheless, ##Var(X) = E(X^2) - [E(X)]^2 = E(X^2) ## becase ##E(X) = 0##. Which leads us to ##Var(X) = \frac{r^2}{2}##. Now this method makes the independence and symmetry assumptions, which I am not truly convinced hold.

I'll keep thinking about this though.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Looks good to me!

Master1022
Looks good to me!
Oh wow! Thanks @PeroK . Just a few follow up questions I had:

1) What made you think about considering ##E(x^2 + y^2)## to start off with?
2) Why do the independence and symmetry properties hold for this question?

3) For part (b), I am guessing we could do a similar method with ##E(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)## and, after making the same assumptions, end up with ##\frac{r^2}{3}##?

Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Homework Statement: Let us randomly generate points on the circumference of a circle (two dimensions).

[tex] E(x^2 + y^2) = E(r^2) = r^2 [/tex]

Are we assuming "a circle" must be a circle with center (0,0) ?

Master1022
Are we assuming "a circle" must be a circle with center (0,0) ?
I believe so. The problem doesn't say, but I just assumed that we were.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
To check that ##E(x^2+y^2) = E(x^2)+E(y^2)## you could pick a few random points and check it out. It's not that ##x## and ##y## are independent, it's that expectation is additive. This should be easy to prove.

There is an obvious symmetry in ##x## and ##y## values round the circle.

You just need to remove the false assumption of independence.

Master1022
To check that ##E(x^2+y^2) = E(x^2)+E(y^2)## you could pick a few random points and check it out. It's not that ##x## and ##y## are independent, it's that expectation is additive. This should be easy to prove.
Sure thing, the additive property is clear to me. I think I was getting confused with variance, for which there is the extra covariance term for sums of variables.

There is an obvious symmetry in ##x## and ##y## values round the circle.
Agreed

You just need to remove the false assumption of independence.
Okay many thanks - this makes more sense

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
to ensure that the point picked is truly random
That doesn't really mean anything. You can have a 'random' variable the distribution of which only allows one value.
What I presume you intend is that the distribution is uniform along the arc of the circle.

Suggested for: Variance of a point chosen at random on the circumference of a circle

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies