Expected value and variance of multivariate exponential distr.

In summary: This is important because the answer will be different if ##y_1,y_2## are integers or if they are continuous.In summary, the problem is to find the marginal distributions, means, and variances of ##Y_1## and ##Y_2##, given that they are discrete. The main challenge is to find the covariance between ##Y_1## and ##Y_2##, which requires using the full bivariate distribution ##p(y_1,y_2)##.
the_dane

Homework Statement

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17974596/Sk%C3%A6rmbillede%202016-02-02%20kl.%2007.35.26.png
I want to find variance matrix and expected variance vector of Y=(Y1,Y2). Y1 and Y2 are independant. Γ is the gamma function and ϒ is a known parameter. λ1>0 λ2>0 and ϒ>0

Homework Equations

canonical form formulas for exponential family.

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to do it by proving that it belongs to the exponential family and then bring to canonical form. But in our textbook (Dobson, Generalized linear model) there are only formulas for f(y) where y is not a vector as here y=(y1,y1)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
the_dane said:

Homework Statement

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17974596/Sk%C3%A6rmbillede%202016-02-02%20kl.%2007.35.26.png
I want to find variance matrix and expected variance vector of Y=(Y1,Y2). Y1 and Y2 are independant. Γ is the gamma function and ϒ is a known parameter. λ1>0 λ2>0 and ϒ>0

Homework Equations

canonical form formulas for exponential family.

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to do it by proving that it belongs to the exponential family and then bring to canonical form. But in our textbook (Dobson, Generalized linear model) there are only formulas for f(y) where y is not a vector as here y=(y1,y1)

Are the ##y_i## discrete (integer-valued) or continuous? If continuous, what do you mean by ##y_i!##, etc? If they are discrete, is your function ##p## a joint probability mass function? If they are continuous, is your function ##p## a joint probability density function? Why do you write ##p(y_1+y_2)## when the function on the right is not just a function of ##y_1+y_2##, but is a function of ##(y_1,y_2)##?

Why do you say that ##Y_1,Y_2## are independent? They do not look independent at all, judging by their joint distribution that you give.

Anyway, you are supposed to do some work on a problem before bringing it to this forum; we are not allowed to help you until you show what you have done already.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are discrete and I was wrong saying that they are independent.

I know I have to do some work before, but I brought it because I'm totally stuck. I think my problem is that in this course our textbook only have examples for one variable and not multi. That confuses me.

the_dane said:
They are discrete and I was wrong saying that they are independent.

I know I have to do some work before, but I brought it because I'm totally stuck. I think my problem is that in this course our textbook only have examples for one variable and not multi. That confuses me.

Start by trying to obtain formulas for the marginal distributions of ##Y_1## and ##Y_2##. You can get the means and variances of ##Y_1## and ##Y_2## from their marginals. That leaves only the problem of finding ##\text{Cov}(Y_1,Y_2)##, which must use the full bivariate distribution ##p(y_1,y_2)##.

BTW: you still have not specified the problem very well: do ##y_1, y_2## belong to the integers ##\{0,1,2, \ldots \}##?

Related to Expected value and variance of multivariate exponential distr.

1. What is the expected value of a multivariate exponential distribution?

The expected value of a multivariate exponential distribution is the average value that is expected to occur for each variable in the distribution. It can be calculated by taking the reciprocal of the rate parameter for each variable.

2. How is the variance of a multivariate exponential distribution calculated?

The variance of a multivariate exponential distribution is calculated by taking the square of the reciprocal of the rate parameter for each variable.

3. Can the expected value of a multivariate exponential distribution be negative?

No, the expected value of a multivariate exponential distribution cannot be negative. It represents the average value that is expected to occur, and negative values do not make sense in this context.

4. How does the number of variables affect the expected value and variance of a multivariate exponential distribution?

The expected value and variance of a multivariate exponential distribution are directly proportional to the number of variables. This means that as the number of variables increases, both the expected value and variance will also increase.

5. Is the expected value and variance of a multivariate exponential distribution affected by the correlation between variables?

Yes, the expected value and variance of a multivariate exponential distribution can be affected by the correlation between variables. In general, higher levels of correlation between variables will result in a higher expected value and variance.