Expected value of the spin tensor operator

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of the one-gluon-exchange tensor part of a phenomenological potential between two particles. The first term, which involves the unit vector along the axis from the first to the second particle, is difficult to evaluate and may depend on the spin and projection of the particles. Solutions are suggested, such as using spherical harmonics expansion, but it is not clear how to evaluate it for specific cases. The importance of considering the spin and projection of the particles is also mentioned. The speaker is seeking guidance rather than a direct answer.
Montejo
Hello everyone,
I'm evaluating the one-gluon-exchange tensor part of a phenomenological potential between two particles, and it involves a term like this:
[tex]S_{ij}=3(\vec{\sigma_i}\hat{r_{ij}})(\vec{\sigma_j}\hat{r_{ij}})-\vec{\sigma_i}\vec{\sigma_j}[/tex]

With [tex]r_{ij}[/tex] the unit vector in the direction along the axis from the first to the second particle

The second term [tex]\vec{\sigma_i}\vec{\sigma_j}[/tex] is very easy to evaluate, it yields -3 for S=0 and 1 for S=1
But I can't solve the first term, whatever I try I always end up with terms including [tex]r^{z}_{ij}[/tex] the proyection of the unit vector along de Z-axis. I suppose that implies that it doesn't only depend on S but also on Sz, which doesn't sound right to me.

Can anyone help me? or even better guide me in the right direction?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If the wave function is spherically symmetric, then the average over angle is
[tex]<(\vec{\sigma_i}\hat{r_{ij}})(\vec{\sigma_j}\hat{r_{ij}})>
=(1/3)\vec{\sigma}\cdot\vec{\sigma}[/tex], so S_ij=0.
If the wave function is not spherically symmetric, the average is harder, and expansion in spherical harmonics may be necessary.

Last edited:
Thanks Meir, in fact it is not spherically symetric.
I worked out an expansion in spherical harmonics:
[tex] \sqrt{\frac{2\pi}{15}}(\sigma_{1-}\sigma_{2-}Y_{22}-(\sigma_{1-}\sigma_{2z}+\sigma_{1z}\sigma_{2-})Y_{21}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}(\sigma_{1+}\sigma_{2-}-4\sigma_{1z}\sigma_{2z}+\sigma_{1-}\sigma_{2+})Y_{20}+(\sigma_{1+}\sigma_{2z}+\sigma_{1z}\sigma_{2+})Y_{2-1}+\sigma_{1+}\sigma_{2+}Y_{2-2})[/tex]
Is it right?

Now, how do I evaluate this? I need to solve it for S=1, L=1, J=1 and for S=1, L=2, J=1
I'm trying to reproduce some calculations and the results show that for L=1 the energy is raised by adding this term whereas it is lowered for the L=2 state, so L definitely does play a part.
In addition, there are three posible spin-functions with S=1 but the projection is not given, so how can we evaluate the terms that depend on the spin of one of the quarks?

Pfiu, lots of questions, as I said in the previous post, I would greatly appreciate a hint in the right direction more than a straightforward answer (which I wouldn't regret either, but learning is more important in my opinion)

What is the expected value of the spin tensor operator?

The expected value of the spin tensor operator is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to predict the results of measuring the spin of a particle. It is a measure of the average value of the spin of a large number of identical particles in a given state.

How is the expected value of the spin tensor operator calculated?

The expected value of the spin tensor operator is calculated by taking the inner product of the state vector with the spin tensor operator. This gives the probability of obtaining a particular spin value upon measurement.

What is the significance of the expected value of the spin tensor operator?

The expected value of the spin tensor operator is important because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum particles. It also helps us understand the properties of spin and its relationship to other quantum properties, such as angular momentum.

Can the expected value of the spin tensor operator change over time?

Yes, the expected value of the spin tensor operator can change over time as the state of the particle evolves. This change is governed by the Schrödinger equation and can be affected by external forces or interactions with other particles.

How does the expected value of the spin tensor operator relate to the uncertainty principle?

The expected value of the spin tensor operator is related to the uncertainty principle in that it represents the maximum amount of information that can be known about a particle's spin. This means that the more accurately we know the spin value, the less certain we are about its position and momentum, and vice versa.