1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected value of x for quantum oscillator - integration help

1. May 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a wavefunction [itex]Cxe^{-ax^2}[/itex] and I have to find the expected value of x.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]∫_{-∞}^{∞} x^3 e^{-Ax^2} dx = 1/A^2 for A>0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I get an integral like this:

[itex]<x>=|C|^2 ∫_{-∞}^{∞} x^3 e^{-Ax^2} dx[/itex]

After trying integration by parts and failing (miserably), I took the coward's way out and went to an integration table. I found this:

[itex]∫_{-∞}^{∞} x^3 e^{-Ax^2} dx = 1/A^2 for A>0[/itex]

My question is this: my [itex]a=ωm/ \hbar[/itex] is always positive, right? I googled stuff on negative frequency, but I don't think that it applies in this situation (quantum oscillator).

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2013 #2
    Actually, I think I got it using integration by parts, but I'd still like to know if my 'shortcut' is still valid.

4. May 6, 2013 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If A<0, it's not that you need a different formula, it's that your integral doesn't converge at all.

Although for this specific integral I think you either wrote it down wrong or did the problem wrong because you're integrating an odd function and should just get 0 regardless of what a is (again, as long as it's positive so the integral converges)

5. May 6, 2013 #4
    I realized that now using Wolfram Alpha...that was my first thought, but then I thought that it would be too easy. I need to stop convincing myself that an easy solution is wrong solution...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted