Expected values in infinite square well

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating <x> in an infinite square well with V(x)=0 for 0<=x<=a. The individual is using integration by parts and has gotten to a solution that does not equal zero, indicating an error in the integration. They are advised to use a Table of Integrals to find the correct solution of <x>=\frac{a}{2} for any value of n.
Aikon
Ok...this must sound stupid, because i didn't found answer on the web and on my books...but i am having trouble with the infinite square well.
I want to calculate <x>.
V(x)=0 for 0<=x<=a
[itex]
<x>=\frac{2}{a}\int^{a}_{0} x \sin^2(\frac{n\pi}{a}x)dx
[/itex]
Doing integration by parts i got to:
[itex]\frac{2}{a}\left[\frac{a^2}{2n}-\int^a_0\frac{a}{2n}dx\right]=0[/itex]
What i am doing wrong?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I would expect an error in your integration, as the first expression is not zero and the following one is.

Last edited:
Aikon said:
[itex]
<x>=\frac{2}{a}\int^{a}_{0} x \sin^2(\frac{n\pi}{a}x)dx
[/itex]

set
[itex]
u=\frac{n\pi}{a}x
[/itex]

look up
[itex]
\int u \sin^2(u)du
[/itex]
in a Table of Integrals to find
[itex]
\frac{u^2}{4}-\frac{u\sin(2u)}{4}-\frac{cos(2u)}{8}
[/itex]

tadchem said:
set
[itex]
u=\frac{n\pi}{a}x
[/itex]

look up
[itex]
\int u \sin^2(u)du
[/itex]
in a Table of Integrals to find
[itex]
\frac{u^2}{4}-\frac{u\sin(2u)}{4}-\frac{cos(2u)}{8}
[/itex]
Yeah, i got it...it is easier to use table of integrals.
it gives the expected [itex]<x>=\frac{a}{2}[/itex] for any value of n.
thanks

1. What is the expected value in an infinite square well?

The expected value in an infinite square well is the average position of a particle within the well. It is calculated by taking the integral of the position probability distribution function over the entire well.

2. How is the expected value affected by the width of the well?

The expected value is directly proportional to the width of the well. As the width increases, the expected value also increases, and vice versa. This is because a wider well allows for more possible positions for the particle, resulting in a higher average position.

3. Can the expected value be negative in an infinite square well?

No, the expected value cannot be negative in an infinite square well. This is because the position probability distribution function is always positive, and the expected value is calculated by taking the integral of this function. Therefore, the expected value will always be a positive number.

4. How does the energy level of a particle affect the expected value?

The energy level of a particle does not directly affect the expected value in an infinite square well. However, the energy level determines the shape of the position probability distribution function, which in turn affects the expected value. Higher energy levels result in a broader distribution and therefore a higher expected value.

5. Can the expected value change over time in an infinite square well?

No, the expected value does not change over time in an infinite square well. This is because the position probability distribution function and the boundaries of the well are constant, so the integral of the function will always result in the same expected value.