Experimental Fluid Mechanics Videos Series

In summary: I really appreciate the effort that you put into compiling these and I'm sure that other students will too!
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi everyone,

Maybe this resource is new for someone. It's a collection of videos made in the 60's by the very best experimentalist scientists of the best universities of the United States. There you may watch how Taylor gives you a lesson in Low Reynolds Flow, how Lighthill gives a lesson in Compressible Flow, how Shapiro talks about Vorticity. It's wonderful to see the experimental techniques available in those times. I've only watched a 30% of the videos, but I must admit they are of an extraordinary quality, accurate and worthy.

They try to explain basic and traditional concepts of fluid mechanics, and how we've reached an status in which the formulation widely fits with the real world. I wish I had the opportunity to watch this videos when I was an undergrad.

People who enters in this forum and asks about fluid mechanics is encouraged to take a look at this webpage:

http://web.mit.edu/fluids/www/Shapiro/ncfmf.html

Enjoy them and pay attention to every second, every word of these videos!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes ANIL KUMAR MEC, MexChemE, osama ramadan and 2 others
Engineering news on Phys.org
I am taking Fluids this summer, so I am watching these old clips right now, all I can say is WOW! These are GREAT! I love old videos like these from the 60's, look at his clean cut parted hair cut, GREAT stuff :cool:

Great find Clausius. For some reason I can't get the videos to work, but that just may be my work firewall.

Happy to see people enjoying them.

Fred, you need realplayer to run them. Try on another computer.

Great resource, Clausius2, even if they are 50 years old... Definitely worth stickying. The first one I clicked on was the drag one - I remember seeing the feather and ball bearing in a vacuum tube demonstration in junior high. Even in college, the best of my basic physics and intro to aero courses were in big lab rooms where they did such demonstrations.

Good stuff.

Last edited:
this is the one that i am searching definitely. thanks a lot

There's another link for experimental fluid mechanics videos, but I haven't checked it yet. The files are very large.

[PLAIN]http://www.iihr.uiowa.edu/products/dhrm.html[/URL] [Broken]

If somebody manages to download it, I will be glad of listening opinions.

A jewel. Each time I see one of these videos, it's incredible!. Awesome! Cool! Sorry for that, but I had to say it again.

Another cool and usefull site is http://www.efluids.com/ They have a number of good links and some pretty sweet images in the gallery. You should check it out.

Likes mohamedibr752
Clausius, Rocketman... those are both excellent sites. Thank you so much for letting us in on them.

is it not possible to download these videos (shapiro) onto my hard drive? I am going on a trip and would like to be able to watch them on my psp or video ipod. If you know how please message me or reply below.

So far i have watched them and i have to say i can't get enough of them! They are so fasicnating and i love learning about this sort of stuff. I really enjoy on how the ones I've watched so far how basic they are and easy to understand becasue I've only ever had one course in physics (im still in high school). Thanks a lot for giving me the link!

Edit: I know how to put the vids onto my ipod or psp i just need to know how to download these videos onto my harddrive.

Last edited:
Right click the link to the file and click Save File As/Save Target As and then save the file on your comp.

Open it in notepad and copy the URL on RSTP protocol.

Download FlashGet and paste this URL in it.This will work (I tried it but didn't download the whole file) but I don't know if its legal or not.

Your technique does indeed work, 'sid_galt'. Thanks so much.

desA

Now if that isn't a handy tip. I always wondered what those DL managers were good for.

Hi there!

You need both flashget and the Mozilla plugin flashgot in order to download the movies from the MIT website. I cannot access the second website. I think it was taken down in the meantime.

Let me know if you have problems using flashget and flashgot.
You can easily find them by searching on google and the download/installation takes no time.

Florin

Thanks very much for the links Clausius! The MIT fluid mechanics videos are really awesome! I didn't have any experimental labs this semester, so the videos were very useful and helped me to *understand* the fluid mechanics which I learned as part of my momentum transfer course.

Hey guys. I'm just starting a Introductory course and would love to view these clips. I can't save them to my computer, maybe the server is down.. Anyone have the same problem?
Thanks

You need both flashget and the Mozilla plugin flashgot in order to download the movies from the MIT website.

For Dafe,

I've just tried this method for MIT & a right-click using 'Flashget link' transfers the download directly to Flashget. Busy re-downloading one as I write.

The IIHR link also works the same way & the site is up.

Give it a whirl.

desA

Last edited:
That is the site you are downloading from right? The list with movies on that site?
I just tried with 'Flashget link', it tries to connect about a 100 times and then stops.
I'm able to download from IIHR.
Anyone have another suggestion?

Dafe said:
That is the site you are downloading from right? The list with movies on that site?
I just tried with 'Flashget link', it tries to connect about a 100 times and then stops.
I'm able to download from IIHR.
Anyone have another suggestion?

I've just re-checked MIT - with another file - no problem.

Sounds like you may be blocked via your ISP, or MIT. Try a proxy, or a cloaking site & see if it helps. MIT uses a cloak-port & this may be playing havoc with your link.

Best of success.

desA

I've tried several cloaking sites and it still isn't working..Think I'll give up on this. Thanks a lot for your patience desA!

babusahmin -- you are clicking the wrong button to reply in this thread. The REPORT button is to report a post that violates the PF rules -- that goes to the Mentors and gets our attention fast to check out and deal with a problem post. To reply to a post, use the Quick Reply box, or click on the QUOTE button.

There are some good fluid mechanics and aviation links all on one page at:
http://uk.askcache.com/webcp?q=%22fluid+mechanics%22+video+online&t=fluid-mechanics%2Bvideo%2Bonline&r=%2522fluid%2Bmechanics%2522%2Bvideo%2Bonline&cache=00*cldqzc4f8war&qlang=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.engr.usask.ca%2F%7Edrs694%2Ffluidmechanics.htm&page=1&o=0&l=dir&ws=1&dm=all [Broken]

Thanks to David Sumner at Saskatchewan University

We watched two of these in my aerodynamics class last semester! I'm glad that they're online -- what a great resource!

Thanks Clauisus for the info. Actually I remember these from college a few years ago (!), now that I've seen them again. They are as good now 50 years later as they were then. Forgot all about them. I tune into this site to learn and get information, not listen to bickering of whose right about this or that like at some sites. I appreciate your posting these.

thanxxxxxxxx for you

Thank You all

I am unable to view these videos, are they still posted?

these videos still can be download.

I will try again.
Thanks.

This is just so great.

Well since I'll be doing fluid dynamics studies for aircraft engines etc etc... at some stage later on, I reckon these are pretty useful stuff! :smile:

Shapiro was a genius. He passed away recently. These videos are so old, but so helpful.

many thanks in deed

<h2>1. What is the purpose of the Experimental Fluid Mechanics Videos Series?</h2><p>The purpose of the Experimental Fluid Mechanics Videos Series is to provide a visual and interactive learning experience for individuals interested in understanding the fundamentals of fluid mechanics and its applications in various fields of science and engineering.</p><h2>2. Who can benefit from watching the Experimental Fluid Mechanics Videos Series?</h2><p>Anyone with an interest in fluid mechanics, including students, researchers, and professionals in fields such as physics, engineering, and environmental science, can benefit from watching the Experimental Fluid Mechanics Videos Series.</p><h2>3. What topics are covered in the Experimental Fluid Mechanics Videos Series?</h2><p>The Experimental Fluid Mechanics Videos Series covers a wide range of topics, including fluid properties, flow visualization techniques, fluid dynamics, turbulence, and applications in aerospace, environmental, and biomedical engineering.</p><h2>4. Are the experiments shown in the videos conducted in a controlled environment?</h2><p>Yes, all experiments shown in the Experimental Fluid Mechanics Videos Series are conducted in a controlled laboratory environment to ensure accurate and repeatable results.</p><h2>5. Can viewers interact with the videos and perform their own experiments?</h2><p>Yes, the Experimental Fluid Mechanics Videos Series allows viewers to interact with the videos by providing instructions and materials for conducting their own experiments at home or in a classroom setting. This hands-on approach enhances the learning experience and allows for a deeper understanding of the concepts presented in the videos.</p>

1. What is the purpose of the Experimental Fluid Mechanics Videos Series?

The purpose of the Experimental Fluid Mechanics Videos Series is to provide a visual and interactive learning experience for individuals interested in understanding the fundamentals of fluid mechanics and its applications in various fields of science and engineering.

2. Who can benefit from watching the Experimental Fluid Mechanics Videos Series?

Anyone with an interest in fluid mechanics, including students, researchers, and professionals in fields such as physics, engineering, and environmental science, can benefit from watching the Experimental Fluid Mechanics Videos Series.

3. What topics are covered in the Experimental Fluid Mechanics Videos Series?

The Experimental Fluid Mechanics Videos Series covers a wide range of topics, including fluid properties, flow visualization techniques, fluid dynamics, turbulence, and applications in aerospace, environmental, and biomedical engineering.

4. Are the experiments shown in the videos conducted in a controlled environment?

Yes, all experiments shown in the Experimental Fluid Mechanics Videos Series are conducted in a controlled laboratory environment to ensure accurate and repeatable results.

5. Can viewers interact with the videos and perform their own experiments?

Yes, the Experimental Fluid Mechanics Videos Series allows viewers to interact with the videos by providing instructions and materials for conducting their own experiments at home or in a classroom setting. This hands-on approach enhances the learning experience and allows for a deeper understanding of the concepts presented in the videos.